Prawn cocktail starter for Christmas???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

zig and zag Posts: 298
Ladies please please please tell me ok to have my delicious homemade prawn cocktail for Christmas? (Dying for it now...yum) I remember I ate one when I was pregnant on ds and only taught about it afterwards! Oops! Everything was fine and I wasnt sick or anything. So what you ye think?
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Maybe someone else, more knowledgable, could answer for definite, but I think I remember reading somewhere there is a risk to eating shellfish in a restaurant in case of bacteria or something. From that I would get that when you're cooking it yourself and have the control, that it should be fine. Anyone confirm?
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I ate prawn cocktail for last year's Christmas dinner. I love seafood so only cut out sushi totally. Once they are properly prepared and cooked prawns are fine in moderation.
bobby2012 Posts: 644
As far as I can tell there is no reason not to have well prepared prawns in moderate amounts, as well as most other seafood. Once they are properly done and aren't consumed too often, most types of seafood are safe to eat. For what it's worth, both my eldest were born with me having eaten prawn coctails on more than one occassion during pregnancy. This one is getting some prawn into him/her as well.
sweetbubbles Posts: 377
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":o5fghs8a]I ate prawn cocktail for last year's Christmas dinner. I love seafood so only cut out sushi totally. Once they are properly prepared and cooked prawns are fine in moderation.[/quote:o5fghs8a] +1 I'm having prawns on Xmas day and I can't wait!!
zig and zag Posts: 298
Thanks girls! You've made my day and Christmas!! :o)ll Bon appetit - to whoever will be enjoying their prawns on Christmas day :hic