Pre marriage course....aggghhhh!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ohholymoley Posts: 2150
We have our course next week and it is with the MRCS. It is only a 3 hour course with a marriage counsellor, and it is just my H2B and myself in the room....but we are dreading it, only because we do not know what to expect! Has anyone done this course?Would love to hear any feedback...good or bad. Do the course last the 3 hours :eek :eek We are going for a nice meal after, I think to celebrate its all over!!!! :o0 :o0 :o0
ugly betty Posts: 153
Hey there, i was like u last week in a panic about course cos didnt no wat to expect. sorry no help to u as we did the weekend one with a big group and it was grand wasnt put on the spot or anything. Hope someone will be able to give some advice and best of luck with it..
ohholymoley Posts: 2150
Bump!!
Augbride08 Posts: 158
Hi Buskers We did a 3 hour pre-marraige course just there during the week but with a different gang. The first 30 mins was really slow as teh woman was really getting into family planning and the different types of methods. Once that section was over it was fne. Financial planning, both families, how we met , how long have we been together and how long we ahve known each other. The religious aspect was covered. Discussion re childen. she talked about her family Just think it will be over in 3 hours rather than spending a day. We finished at 9.20 so it was ok Its done and dusted
Higgs particle Posts: 4557
NOt doing that one but I have the accord one tonight - bricking it!
jitterbug Posts: 226
Hi Buskers, We did the MRCS course last weekend. I was really stressed beforehand as well, wondering what the hell it'd be all about. The councellor we had (sligo based) was grand. All he really did was go through the quetionnaire in detail. In the end it only lasted 2.5 hours. To be honest I found that I was trying to stay awake. It's a little on the boring side. He skipped past the s€x questions really fast, and talked loads about him and his wife who sounded like Bree van de Kamp. Nothing to worry about at all, vast majority of it is just common sense, no great revelations. relax and it'll be over before you know it.
MrsDoyle Posts: 663
[quote="Higgs particle":1hofrolh]NOt doing that one but I have the accord one tonight - bricking it![/quote:1hofrolh] Me too Higgs! Wonder if it's the same one?!
Mistified Posts: 2680
I'm just wondering how come it is something to be afraid of? I'm quite looking forward to it. Am I naive about something?
gavali Posts: 61
Hey i have my accord marriage course next fri nite and sat day. Really takes up the whole weekend. Can someone please tell me what to expect. really going in not knowing what to expect. thanks
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
We have done the accord one and quite enjoyed it really. You both get workbooks with questions, fill in the answers and then swap to compare. It covered quite a lot, how you come across to each other, family of origin, baggage you bring in from previous relationships, dealing with arguments etc. Children and s€x was mentioned briefly and a priest came in and gave some good info on the ceremony itself etc. There were also examples of fictious couples and whatever dilemmas they faced etc, and everyone was split into groups to discuss but nobody was really forced to talk if they didn't want. It ended with everybody getting their certs and a little ceremony to celebrate your engagement. Put it this way, I could think of a million things I would prefer to be doing instead but it has to be done and everybody else there is in the same boat.