Pre-marriage courses - any one in particular?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

PalomaSeven Posts: 48
What's the difference between the various pre-marriage courses - are they all above board and recognised etc? I saw one Accord for 200e and another one Together for 100e - wonder why the price discrepancy? Any info appreciated!
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
Not every priest recognises certain courses. As far as I know the Accord one is fully recognised by everyone but that is also the most expensive one. I have heard the Avalon ones are cheaper but a lot of priests don’t recognise them. We had to do the Accord one. Check with your priest before booking to see what one he recommends.
eefc Posts: 1201
I just did my one on Saturday- god it was a waste of a day altogether- not as bad as some I hear though! They all are pretty much the same thing really- just depends on how quickly you want it over and done with- if you want to have it done in 4 hours or do you want to spend a full day at one? We have the follow up meeting tonight to review their analysis of our survey to see if we are compatible- a load of crap! If we werent compatible we wouldn't be getting married! My advice- go with the quickest and cheapest! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
seedee Posts: 1017
we went with avalon for 120, and the priest did recommend the accord one, and said that the bishop prefers couples to do it because of the contact hours, but we just had our pre nup enquiry there on saturday morning and the priest didnt pass comment on it at all.
gingerwhinger Posts: 1421
palomaseven where are you based? our priest recommended a course in Kldare town. it's only €60. i'm actually not from kildare but i phoned about the course and you dont have to be from the area to it. so it would be worth a shot if you were close by
hadtoleave Posts: 2522
Just be careful because I have heard of other brides being made to do 2 pre marriage courses before the priest would marry them as they had not done an approved course in the first place…depends on what a stickler your priest is I guess!
MrsAtobe Posts: 1158
[quote="eefc":3fmjrd12]My advice- go with the quickest and cheapest! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll[/quote:3fmjrd12] That's fine then until the priest tells you do to another one. Our church's priest accepts the Accord one so we're doing that one, it's two days, but look at it from their point of view, they want to make sure you're committed and have been thorough, 4 hours might not be enough to identify any issues. You'd be surprised the amount of people who get married without discussing if they want kids, how they'll deal with joint financial things etc.
eefc Posts: 1201
[quote="23 Magpies":362sjoov][quote="eefc":362sjoov]My advice- go with the quickest and cheapest! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll[/quote:362sjoov] That's fine then until the priest tells you do to another one. Our church's priest accepts the Accord one so we're doing that one, it's two days, but look at it from their point of view, they want to make sure you're committed and have been thorough, 4 hours might not be enough to identify any issues. You'd be surprised the amount of people who get married without discussing if they want kids, how they'll deal with joint financial things etc.[/quote:362sjoov] True- I suppose I take it for granted because me and H2B always talk about things like that so it was no big news to us. Plus we are together 7 years so we are pretty certain of our choices and discussed a lot of whats on the course years in advance. Before I booked course, I checked with my parish what courses he accepted and went with the cheapest and quickest! No mistakes to be made that way!