Pre Marriage Courses

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Hi girls Does it matter which pre marriage course you do - are they all equally recognised by the church as being valid? Also, any feedback on which of the courses is the best?
Walking Bump Posts: 2095
Checked around a few of the courses and got some feedback but from what i understand it doesn't have to be a specific course as such any of them seem fine. We're going with accord for ours because I heard good reviews and the times and location suited us. Costs €150 HTH
bullbride Posts: 423
before booking the premarriage course check with your priest if he accepts the one your doing, i know someone who did a course but the priest didn't accept it, there are different levels or something - not too sure!! but they had to do another
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
We did the ACCORD one as I saw it advertised in the church porch so figured that was the one the priest preferred. I think it's the MCRS one that some priests don't accept because it's non-denominational but check first.
Pat Rogers Posts: 26
Re: does it matter which Pre Marriage Course? Since the Irish bishops issued guidelines late in 2010 about what is required in a Catholic pre-marriage course, it is well to check those guidelines before booking your course, just in case. The main ones are listed at Hope that helps, Fr Pat Rogers, March 2011
Twinkle toe Posts: 1025
Just to say that we completed the Accord course at the weekend and found it great! Really focuses on the important things and reaffirms the reasons why we are getting married. Time well spent in the run up to our big day. O:o)
Bellisima Posts: 3583
[quote="Pat Rogers":3cyf58xc]Re: does it matter which Pre Marriage Course? Since the Irish bishops issued guidelines late in 2010 about what is required in a Catholic pre-marriage course, it is well to check those guidelines before booking your course, just in case. The main ones are listed at Hope that helps, Fr Pat Rogers, March 2011[/quote:3cyf58xc] Welcome to WOL Fr Pat!
luckyladee Posts: 2550
[quote="Twinkle toe":2w2ifnbo]Just to say that we completed the Accord course at the weekend and found it great! Really focuses on the important things and reaffirms the reasons why we are getting married. Time well spent in the run up to our big day. O:o)[/quote:2w2ifnbo] That's how I WANTED to feel. We didn't have to do a pre marriage course for our priest but we decided to do one anyway - in order to get what Twinkle Toe got from it. We did the Avalon cours - sorely disappointed!
guber Posts: 376
I have to say i was very disappointed with our accord course. Thought it was very outdated. Talking about contraception and when the timing is right to have kids - i mean most of the couples that were there had kids already. My husband thought he would have benefited more if they had a male on the course (it was done by 3 women) it would have been nice hearing from a male point of view. My favorite part of the course was the priest. He was down to earth and had a great sense of humour but if you ask me my honest opinion, a complete waste of time and a money racket.
Skittlespink Posts: 406
Our priest would only accept the ACCORD one so make sure you check before you book!!!