Pregnacare or galfer?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Finallymum Posts: 485
Hi girls At my last gyne appt I was told to start taking either Pregnacare or galfer in mid January - in the last few weeks I've been getting headaches and slight palpations, well, I can hear my heart beating at times. I haven't started taking any iron yet as I wanted to see what my gp said when I saw him next (this week). I'm 16+wks now, are these signs that I need to be taking an iron supplement? Anyone else taking these? I've been tired but nothing major - don't want to be taking iron until I really need to as I hear galfer esp can cause constipation.... Any advice?
WinterGal Posts: 835
i've been taking Pregnacare since about 16 weeks as they are supposed to be excellent. They have 17 mg of iron in them which they list as 121% of your RDA. Then can't do any harm anyway and then wait to see what your doc says about taking galfer.
WinterGal Posts: 835
i've been taking Pregnacare since about 16 weeks as they are supposed to be excellent. They have 17 mg of iron in them which they list as 121% of your RDA. Then can't do any harm anyway and then wait to see what your doc says about taking galfer.
silíní Posts: 4219
For iron deficiency you would need a proper supplement like Galfer. Have your iron checked. I had a lot of those symptoms (vertigo, palpitations) in the first trimester and my iron was quite low. I took galfer for the rest of the pregnancy. Didnt take pregnacare. Took mum omega as i dont eat fish. S
Long Legs Lizzy Posts: 233
hi i'm taking both at mo and have been since week 28. I was told to take 2 iron tabs a day as had low iron and i'm still taking pregnacare for other vitamins. i notice a huge difference in my energy levels during day as i don't sleep well at night lizzy
lisa Posts: 1612
My iron levels were quite low so gynae and dr. recommended I go on iron supplement as well as my pregnacare. Heard a lot of people say they found galfer quite tough on the tummy. Said this to gynae and she thinks ferrograd c is the most gentle on the tummy. It includes vitamin c which helps the absorbtion of iron. I've been on it a week now and feel great, energy levels have improved and no sign of upset tummy or constipation yet.