pregnancy 9 or 10 months?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

monkeyflower Posts: 264
hi girls, this has be annoying me lately for no good reason. why is pregnancy classed as 9 months while 40 wks is 10 months. 9 months is 36 weeks. im 8 months tomorro but still 8 wks (2 months) to go! just dont why it is said to be 9 months, I no 38 wks is considered full term, anyway I obviosuly thinking too much :o0 :o0
happy2009 Posts: 67
This used to get me too but if you think about it 4 weeks is 28 days and therefore not a full month. So 40 weeks isn't actually 10 months. Although when you get to the end you'd think you were pregnant for a year. :-8
brightling Posts: 1496
Yeah, I know what you mean, it can be a bit confusing. If I count in weeks, Im 30 weeks today but as Im due on the 21st of Feb, I wont consider myself 7 months gone until the 21st of this month. But thats just how I do it, for months I go by the calender date of each month, so on the 21st of each month, Ive said Im another month on.
motherhubbard Posts: 3037
It's calendar months versus the 4 wk month :o0 I am the same as brightling I say it in weeks and if I am going to say it in months I wait until my due date of that month before I say I am that many months gone, i.e. I am due 23rd Feb so I will wait until the 23rd Dec before I say I am 7 months pregnant as there is only 2 calendar months left then until my due date.. iykwim.. actually reading that back it sounds more confusing :-8 :o0
Dipsy80 Posts: 1038
[quote="brightling":3nvyy6ne]Yeah, I know what you mean, it can be a bit confusing. If I count in weeks, Im 30 weeks today but as Im due on the 21st of Feb, I wont consider myself 7 months gone until the 21st of this month. But thats just how I do it, for months I go by the calender date of each month, so on the 21st of each month, Ive said Im another month on.[/quote:3nvyy6ne] +1 I counted this way too.
doone Posts: 503
yea its def confusing, i think the reason for it is that some calendar months have 5 weeks or the few extra days each month add up by the end of the nine months