Pregnancy and Baby book for DH???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bigleap Posts: 696
Girls, Just starting out on our TTC journey but my DH is feeling very unprepared (in the practical sense). He was never around babies that much until recently and worries about not knowing much about the basics (holding, feeding, why they might be crying etc.). Personally I think allot of it comes with practice. He is also very curious about pregnancy as well (fingers crossed). He asked me if there was a book on the subject. I was wondering if you guys could recommend a well illustrated book dealing with the basics of baby care and the different stages of pregnancy? He's not squemish at all so no problem if there are graphic pictures. Thanks :thnk
randomusername Posts: 2134
I got my DH the Blokes guide to pregnancy. He really enjoyed it and like that wouldn't be used to being around babies. Its not big on illustrations but gives a lot of useful info about pregnancy and the changes we'll be going through, how they can help, cope and when to shut up :o0 I also found signing up for the weekly email from babycentre.co.uk helpful as we read it together every week and it gives info on Mummy and baby. I have the what to expect when you're expecting book and its not great for Dads but I've gotten him lots of leaflets about breast feeding that we read together so he can see the different positions for feeding etc. I also think the ante natal classes will help because they cover stuff like changing, dressing, feeding, bathing and holding. I think Mothercare do information evenings too and there are parenting classes available but not sure of the expense or location. A lot of it will come naturally and personally I think the most important thing for Dads is to have time alone with Mum and baby without an audience of grannies and aunts all starring and making him nervous and uncomfortable. If they have this time to bond and he has a few hours to see that he's not going to break the baby he'll become a lot more confident. As I said though this is just my opinion based on what I've seen with other Dads HTH :thnk
Bigleap Posts: 696
[quote="Watermelonbelly":p1bm7y7b] A lot of it will come naturally and personally I think the most important thing for Dads is to have time alone with Mum and baby without an audience of grannies and aunts all starring and making him nervous and uncomfortable. If they have this time to bond and he has a few hours to see that he's not going to break the baby he'll become a lot more confident. As I said though this is just my opinion based on what I've seen with other Dads HTH :thnk[/quote:p1bm7y7b] I totally agree with this! I'm not worried about him at all when his time as a dad comes. He'll get the hang of it soon enough. I think its just freaking him out a bit at the moment. He said last night that he worries about trying for a baby when he knows so little about them. I'll check that book out on amazon. Thanks!