pregnancy book

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

fizzie09 Posts: 114
Can anyone recomend a good pregnancy book? I went into bookshop to buy one earlier but couldn't pick there were so many to choose from!! Thanks
Painter2 Posts: 218
Hi, I have 'What to expect when your expecting'. I find this is really good. I also have 'conception, pregnancy & birth' by Mirriam Stoppard. I bought that when we started TTC and found it good. But at the minute I'm preferring the other one. Both are really good though. :wv
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
I've got What to Expect, other people recommend the Rough Guide, Best Friends Guide etc. I don't read much of mine anymore, just the weekly updates.
randomusername Posts: 2134
I have what to expect and the best friends guide. Both are ok but not based on Irish hospitals and systems so when feeling a little hormonal I tended to freak out that I wasn't getting an appropriate level of care. I have found this site brilliant for asking my stupid questions and finding out about hospital routines etc. I also signed up to babycentre.co.uk and I get a weekly email giving me updates on babies progress and how I should or will be feeling. The books I felt needed to be taken with a pinch of salt. Also different countries have different foods to avoid! Did not know this til I read the best friends guide
babychino Posts: 634
[quote:hxhrco05] by Painter2 ยป Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 pm Hi, I have 'What to expect when your expecting'. I find this is really good. I also have 'conception, pregnancy & birth' by Mirriam Stoppard.[/quote:hxhrco05] I have these books too, and find them very good. What to expect is very factual and the week by week is brilliant. Miriam Stoppard book is a great overview, with excellent pictures, DH likes this one best, he finds what to expect a bit boring!! Like watermelon, I find it a bit annoying that the books are based on UK system, if anyone has an Irish book to recommend, that'd be great
soulful Posts: 1697
For me there is none better than 'What to expect when you're expecting'! :xox
GentleBirth Posts: 750
BabyChino - there are 2 Irish books at the moment - (my book) The Better Birth Book - Tracy Donegan and The Irish Pregnancy Book by Peter Boylan. Another great book (but based more on the US system) is Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. Tracy