Menu

Pregnancy Books / Websites that aren't totally po-faced?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

UsineBB Posts: 112
Hey all, Just wondering if anyone knows of or can recommend pregnancy books / websites / apps that are a bit more relaxed and humourous? I'm finding What To Expect When You're Expecting to be very annoying - it's good information but I hate the tone of it if that makes sense? I fecking hate my pregnancy being described as a "sweet little bun" in my "oven" :hic Have signed up to the Baby Centre "My Pregnancy" app on my iPhone, which is good for the weekly pictures explainng the size of the foetus etc, but again all the pregnancy info / advice is so bloody worthy and up itself. I am not a sacred baby-making vessel, I'm a woman with a bloated stomach who spends her days repressing farts and trying not to puke in the office!!! Anyone have any recommendations that will inform me without patronising me?
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
The Rough Guide to Pregnancy by Kaz somebody or other. What Not to Expect When You're Expecting - Zoe Williams
Ah brilliant WCL I will chack those out! Thank you :thnk
isabella123 Posts: 175
I found what to expect a bit much too. I just finished 'ina mays guide to childbirth' by ina may gaskin. Never thought I would love a pregnancy book but this was fab.
littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
Anne Enright's Making Babies is great, really worth reading. And can also recommend Zoe William's What Not to Expect. Tina Fey has a bit about pregnancy/babies in Bossypants but would recommend anyway as it's friggin hilarious. The story of her honeymoon still has me in stitches no matter how often I read it.
Little Sugar Loaf I have read Bossypants about 248952418 times, Tina Fey is brilliant! "Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!" I love the prayer for her daughter as well, it's so funny but so heartfelt. Didn't realise Anne Enright had written a book about babies, will be ordering that ASAP! Love her! Isabella I hadn't heard of Ina May Gaskin, will be skipping over to Amazon right now to check that out, thanks for the tip.
allegory Posts: 16
I like the pregnancy calender here [url:2id55hd3]http://alphamom.com/pregnancy-calendar-overview/[/url:2id55hd3] for a slightly more irreverend take on those week-by-week things. I like "Expecting Better" by Emily Oster which breaks down a lot of the advice doled out to pregnant women, looks at the studies behind it and the quality of those studies. I felt much better informed about deciding to have a glass of wine or not etc. It goes into studies of epidural v not etc. with the statistics broken down clearly. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it such a welcome antidote to the blanket bans on virtually everything in "What to expect..." often with no scientific back up just: "Well we don't know so you'd better not dye your hair, do your nails or move outside the house just in case." I also liked "Do Chocolate Lovers have Sweeter Babies". It's a sort of pop-science book written in a light-hearted style. Good if you enjoy books like Freakonomics.