Pregnancy Weight Gain

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LadyLayla Posts: 350
Hi girls, just had a question about weight gain in pregnancy. As you can see from my ticker I'm over 17 weeks pregnant but I haven't gained any real weight (about 2lbs max). I wasn't overweight to start with and I didn't have any nausea or sickness that would have made me lose weight. I suppose I'm just a bit concerned as according to everything I've read I should have gained 2-4lbs in the first trimester and be putting on about 1lb a week now. Has anyone else not gained weight at this stage and then made up for it later? My scan isn't for another 2 1/2 weeks so I'm stressing a bit now.
weddingdiva Posts: 1349
you'll be fine it will probably all come on you at the end, lucky you. I've gained over 3 stone, you dont want to be in that bracket either! good luck with your scan, you'll feel more at ease when you see your little one
jewellb Posts: 2389
id say ive lost about 6 or 7 pounds since i got pregnant, i have gone off big dinners and sweet stuff so i guess thats why, i hope i get my appetite back after 12 weeks. i have a little paunch though since 10 weeks i think is my uterus pushing up my spare tyre !!!! :o0
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Honestly I don't think you've anything to worry about unless you were very thin getting pregnant? I stayed the exact same weight up to 25 weeks and then was diagnosed with gestational diabetes (which means you can eat f eck all!!) so I lost weight from there on - it was no problem and was never mentioned as cause for concern by GP or consultant but I did have weight to spare. This pregnancy I've already started losing weight again due to GD. DD was absolutly fine aswell - the baby will take everything from you so don't worry that they are not getting enough. Talk to your GP or cons though if you are worried and I'm sure they will put your mind at ease. A friend of mine that would have been thin getting pregnant was so sick with MS for the whole 9 months still had a perfect baby weighing 7lbs something and was the same on her 2nd pregnancy and again perfectly healthy baby!
mammy2011 Posts: 1388
I gained very little weight on my last pregnancy, and the midwives and GP never mentioned it! By week 30 i had only gained 5 pounds. The baby was measuring fine so it was never a concern. This time around i have more on but still not much. I'm not complaining!
LadyLayla Posts: 350
Thanks for the replies girls - will try not to worry about it so much!
ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
I wouldn't worry either. I actually lost weight last time at the start and only gained about 6lbs overall and DS was born weighing 7lb 6oz. I have gained 6lbs so far this time but that was at the start and haven't put on any in the last 1o weeks and babs is measuring fine and should be born around the 7lb 6oz mark too.
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
On my first pregnancy I lost a stone and a half and DS was born 16 days overdue weighing 8lb7. This time I have gained a half stone so far but all since the 20 week mark. It is better not to gain in the first 12 weeks really and from 20 or 24 weeks you will probably have a bit of a gain then. Don't worry if all is ok with your baby.