Pregnant I miss being active!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

blisschick Posts: 35
I wasn't prepared for the physical changes...I miss walking my dog at a decent pace. I enjoyed walking him for 50 mins every night I'm 27 weeks now & get tired, sore,achey & out of breath after 20 mins. I know it sounds silly. I do pregnancy yoga once per week & a little @ home & walk dog for 30 mins each day...am I a freak I miss being active. Can you do more than me? Is this normal?? I'm a healthy fit slim woman who just misses being full of energy
ructions Posts: 2689
It was the biggest change for me too. I would go to the gym for an intensive workout three times a week and also train in a sport twice a week. I really, really missed it when I was pregnant, felt so lumpy and out of sorts. I couldn't maintain the exercise I was doing as it was very intense and the sport is unsafe in pregnancy. I did do a LOT of walking though.
dilin o damhsa Posts: 776
Bliss chick at about 26 weeks I really started to feel slower and more lumbersome. I think it was a combination of a growth spurt for baby and the beginning of the "uncomfortable" 3rd trimester. I had a lovely second trimester and was very active but I've had to dial it back a bit since then and now take the bus short distances and try to take is easier at work. I found it strange & frustrating getting used to the limitations of my changed body but I'm confident that it will get better eventually (when we get used to new babies and te lack of sleep ;o) ) If you feel that you want to do a bit more I would suggest Prenatal Pilates (a bit more active/physical than yoga IMO) or swimming. Swimming is so lovely. In the water your body is so much lighter! With the dog maybe you could play fetch? It would save your legs but give your arms a bit of a work out and you'd stay out in the fresh air a bit longer. I think the the baby's growth spurt tired me out but I do feel a bit more energetic now than a few weeks ago. I hope you feel the same. Best of luck.
ohholymoley Posts: 2150
Blisschick,I am an active gym bunny and am going to find it very strange not being able to continue as I normally do, would like to think I will be able to stay as active as possible, but I know this will not be the case!! Dont worry, I feel exactly the same as you and think I will find it very hard to adjust!!x
hairdye Posts: 1129
Yep, I know how you feel and Im only three months!! I have suffered from really really bad pregnancy sickness (using part tense as I think it is easing up, yipee!) which I have found really debilitating. It completely put a stop to my gallop, along with the tiredness. Now that Im starting to feel a bit better, Im getting back into my walking and Im really enjoying the exercise. Im going to enjoy it while I can and Im going to try to be active for as long as I can, as I know it will get harder the further I progress.
leo20 Posts: 309
Oh i know what you mean - this is the one big thing i miss - im not a fitness feak - but it keeps me sane - I usually - run, swim and gym. Im only 14 weeks pregnant and i dont know how im going to get through next 5 months! I had miscarriage before and this is ivf pregnancy so apart from swimming and walking im not doing any further excersize.. but im missing my active lifestyle and my running! and i know im going to get fat! i only have to look at food and i put weight on! plus if i dont excersize i blow up! ive put on 5lbs already in 14 weeks! But is more the sanity of fitness - my brain works overtime and excersize usually calms it down! - ill be fat and bonkers by the end! :duh: :duh:
nelswife Posts: 3869
I did bootcamp up until about week 20..oh how i miss it, but at the moment whatever way baby is lying i get breathless if i even walk up the stairs, so uncomfortable..cant wait to get back into it!
Blue Sea Posts: 4
Ladies, I completely understand where you're coming from. I am finding the lack of exercise the hardest thing to deal with so far. I'm only 11 weeks but already I'm piling on weight because I'm so inactive. For the past couple of months, I've been exhausted and the fact that I'm working late every day does not help. By the time I'm leaving the office, I've been too tired to do anything. All I've wanted to do is go home, lie on the couch for an hour and then go to bed. Thankfully my energy definitely seems to be returning - fingers crossed I'm not speaking too soon. I'm still working long hours but I'm hoping to get into a routine of going to the gym in the morning before work. Even though I was used to long runs and intense workouts before I got pregnant, I don't mind having to do mild exercise, as long as I'm doing something! If I keep going the way I am, I'll be depressed by the time I'm due and I'll be the size of a baby elephant. I plan to start pregnancy yoga, swimming once a week, a light gym workout once a week and a slow and short run once a week. We'll see how it goes ;o) I'd love to hear how everyone else is getting on over the next while. Could do with a bit motivation and inspiration to be honest.