Prenatal Listening System

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Just spotted a Prenatal Heart Listening System in the new Argos book,it includes 2 headsets,waist strap, cables to record sounds and instuction CD.Can be used from approximately 21wks for pregnancy...its €50 BTW
Spice Bride Posts: 558
I've heard that it's not much good. Luigi posted a link recently with doppler systems. I ordered one and it arrived yesterday. Could hear the swoosh of the placenta but couldn't pick up the heartbeat. The one I ordered doesn't count the heartbeat - maybe not a bad thing cos I'd be worrying about that as well. Just to be aware also, if you do get one, that there isn't evidence on how safe they are to use. There isn't evidence that they do any damage, but there isn't evidence that they are completely safe. I know that I'd be tempted to use it every day but after hearing this I think that I'll limit use.
luigi Posts: 867
Its not that great dolly; interference and all that plus very bad reports from mums and that s the most important thing- your best option of you have the cash is something like a Baby Sonic; they use them in ROI hospitals but they are up near 100 stg to buy. Try E-Bay, or HiBaby for a good one, or you could even rent one. If you're on Ebay avoid the "Angel Sounds" ones too as they are similar to the Argos one.
THanks girls,I dont think I would be into them myself I just thought I would post for information for others...Spice Bride I think you have to be further along to get the best results
Miki Posts: 309
i got it, now 35wks and still cant get a damn heart beat!!!! My sil got a heart beat from 23weeks, suppose its different for everyone. I've tried it every week since 20wks!
[quote:10blwyev]Spice Bride I think you have to be further along to get the best results[/quote:10blwyev] Dolly, I have no patience. Got it in work yesterday and couldn't wait - tried using it in the toilets. Put on the hand dryer to cover the noise and then I couldn't hear anything anyway. In fairness, it does say that you may pick up the heartbeat from 10 weeks and when I heard the placenta I thought that was it. Was counting the number of swooshes and then got worried when it seemed low. Although there is a good bit of flab that the sound has to come through so it might work on slimmer women. I'll put it away till 12 weeks.
[quote="Spice Bride":1q52done][quote:1q52done]Spice Bride I think you have to be further along to get the best results[/quote:1q52done] Dolly,[b:1q52done] I have no patience. Got it in work yesterday and couldn't wait - tried using it in the toilets. Put on the hand dryer to cover the noise and then I couldn't hear anything anyway.[/b:1q52done]In fairness, it does say that you may pick up the heartbeat from 10 weeks and when I heard the placenta I thought that was it. Was counting the number of swooshes and then got worried when it seemed low. Although there is a good bit of flab that the sound has to come through so it might work on slimmer women. I'll put it away till 12 weeks.[/quote:1q52done] Thats so funny! :o0 What on earth does the placenta sound like.... :ooh
luigi Posts: 867
Spice Bride, start away down further than you'd ever think you'd find your baby. Because you're so early you will probably find the heartbeat down at the top of your pubes to begin with (TMI sorry- but I wish someone had told me this in the three weeks it took me to find DS) Hope you find it, but at the same time it is a little early. x
The placenta makes a swooshing sound. It's the sound of the blood going in and out, or so DH said and his Mum is a midwife so he likes to think that he knows something about all this.
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Spice Bride the dr told me on Tuesday that the baby moves around so much at this early stage that it can be hard to pin down a heartbeat (even at 16 weeks). Also, your placenta may well be lying in front of the baby so try not to worry. Dolly I was tempted to buy that too until someone on here said they had to return it because it didn't work properly and wasn't picking up a heartbeat at 20 weeks - can you imagine how worrying that would be? I actually think I'm not going to get a doppler at all because I am a natural worrier and I think I would become obsessed with listening and freaking out at any changes! Well, we'll see... I dont' have much will power either!