Preparing for children

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

missyme1 Posts: 17
Hey I have already posted some of my concerns about having children but I was just wondering what did people do to prepare yourself for pregnancy? I know your supposed to take folic acid for 3 months before hand. Should I go to the doctor before trying? Any medical tests that should be done beforehand? Thanks
LoveActually Posts: 106
TeaParty14 Posts: 208
Get any necessary dental work done. Cut out fatty and fried foods. Eat lots of fruit and veg. Cut down on caffeine and alcohol. Get plenty of exercise. Tell OH to do the same! Also tell OH switch to boxers.
2013Sunshine Posts: 141
Hi missy, I went to my gp to get checked for my immunity to rubella. They do it in the hospital anyway around 13 weeks but was handy to have gotten it done and know if I needed a jab or not. Also agree with frolic acid, smear test and get as much calcium and iron in your diet as well. Enjoy :)
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="BabyMad2014":hdcfhuaz]Get any necessary dental work done. Cut out fatty and fried foods. Eat lots of fruit and veg. Cut down on caffeine and alcohol. Get plenty of exercise. Tell OH to do the same! Also tell OH switch to boxers.[/quote:hdcfhuaz] Wow, that's a hefty enough list to put anyone off. I just went about my normal day to day but took folic acid and had a check up with GP before TTC.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Have sex.
TeaParty14 Posts: 208
Lol Sassypants! Our doc gave DH the run down during the week. It is a bit daunting alright!
Mrs Stewart Posts: 443
+1 weird cat lady. This is exactly what we did & it worked perfectly!
pinkframe Posts: 628
Sadly not as easy as jus having sex for some. Babymad2014 - v well prepared! The only thing I'd add is get fit! Get into a decent ish exercise routine & try to keep it up! (She says as she lies on the sofa :) Pregnancy takes so much out of your body, it'll stand to ya during & also for the labour if ya have reasonable level of fitness! Best of luck...it's a v exciting time! X
pinkframe Posts: 628
Sorry - ya mentioned exercise!! Even my eyes are getting lazy :)