Present for a 10 year old boy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Ally Dick Posts: 563
Hi. I have volunteered to buy a present for a 10 year old boy at work as part of the St Vincent De Paul Giving Tree appeal. I am sitting here scratching my head. Anyone any ideas ? I don't have any kids of my own so I have no idea what is popular out there. Any suggestions will be gratefully received....
breeze Posts: 1175
My DS is 8, and he loves remote control things. Can you have a look at the smyths () web site, they have loads of stuff there. Lego is really good too, making a model of a bike or car, can be time consuming, though hope the above helps a bit
dreamer Posts: 3941
Debenhams were selling mini-remote controlled helicopters! Can be used inside (carefully and under supervision!!!)
Italy07 Posts: 5409
Our son loves the mecanio sets (sp?) and as the others said remote control cars.
LilyBlue Posts: 279
A CD player?
Tracyq Posts: 18
A book........ Tolkiens 'The Hobbit'
BlahBlahBride Posts: 2744
What's your budget?
fire fly Posts: 1241
I went into tk maxx for the first time yesterday, great toys, and I got a National Geographic Volcano and Earthquake maker normal retail is 32e and its 14.99 in there. My nephew is 10 and he loves those things. They had lots of remote control cars aswell. Here it is: I thought it was great!
Ally Dick Posts: 563
[quote="bobbie":p1n85vdx]What's your budget?[/quote:p1n85vdx] Hi Bobbie, there are no budget limits. I am prepared to spend up to around 50 euros seeing at it is for Vincent De Paul
Hokey Cokey Posts: 4816
I'd stay away from battery operated toys......some of those take loads of large batteries that cost a fortune. I'd hate to feel I was putting additional pressure on the family to replace the batteries. I'd go for a board game (Ker Plunk, Monopoly, Twister) or something like Lego or Mecanno, plus a book. I got some great books in TK Max for my nephews who around that age - they have a series of gorgeous books on Pirates, Dragons and Wizardry. They were €12.99 each but look far more expensive.