Menu

Presents?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

FinallyMrsM Posts: 899
I am such a novice at this :-8 FPIL landed at the house today with LOADS of presents for us. Didn't know we would receive anything this early. They say that people will start calling to the house with presents and stuff?!?!?!? REALLY?!?!?!? I thought we might just get presents and cards on the day. I have never heard of this before then again I have never been to a wedding before :-8 and this is the first in the family :-8
longtimeyet Posts: 461
Hey hellesbelles...ye must be so excited!! :o)ll A few of my friends/family have gotten married already and they did find that this happened to them! They nearly had some one calling every night about two weeks before the wedding... I know in my family aunts/uncles etc like to call with presents and give them personally rather than have someone mind them on the wedding day. It has worked out great for them too as they got to have a chance to chat to guests before the wedding, so they didnt feel as gulity on the dancefloor all night!! Enjoy it.... and have some nice stuff in the house for copius amounts of tea/coffee!!
I am hopping around with excitement :o)ll :o)ll It just flew in! Me and OH just sit looking at each other with the jaws dropping all the time.
amthee Posts: 688
When my sister and friend got married some aunts uncles and friends called around with presents from two weeks before the wedding. Just have a stash of biscuits in the house and you will be fine!
Is it customary to open the presents in front of the guest callers or can we leave them? I get a little shy opening presents even in front of OH. We will be sending out thank you cards after the wedding. I dunno, I don't want to appear stand offish by not opening them IYKWIM
longtimeyet Posts: 461
I would def not open presents in front of people. Have never done this for any present unless they ask me too. Do whatever your are comfortable with!!
Kettles Hotel
galgirl84 Posts: 13
If people post you a gift before the wedding are you meant to acknowledge it with a thank you card? We got 2 gifts of cash and cheque already as people sent back their RSVP. I'm not sure if we should send a note saying thank you so the people know we got the gift and then send another thank you card when we're sending the others after the wedding saying thanks for coming & sharing the day. I wasn't expecting anything before the day.
I think in cases like that I would just wait and post all the cards together.. again I think it is whatever you feel comfortable with :)