Pressure Cookers - does anyone use them??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

cabbagehead Posts: 3899
Listening to a (non-IMF-related :o0 ) item on the news this morning about making economies in the home, a French chef is telling everyone to go back to cooking everything in a pressure cooker like our grandmothers did. Apparently it uses 70% less energy than a normal saucepan, keeps more vitamins and other nutrients in the food, and also is much faster. I've never ever used one, wouldn't know how - I have a memory from when I was tiny of my granny's pressure cooker making a scary hissing noise, so I've always been frightened of them :-8 But it sounds like they would be a godsend in this new post-apocalyptic era of austerity, if that chef was right. So Wollies, do any of you use one?? Would you recommend it?
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
Hey cabbage, I use mine a fair bit (my Mum got it for me in Lidl) works a treat. I use it mainly when Im making Irish stew, comes out fab. Heres a good webite if you do end up getting one:http://www.pressurecookerrecipes.net/ You get used to the hissing sound from it. My dad one day got his hands on mine and put in spuds to boil them, poor guy made a mess....so funny :o0
Thanks Rubyrose, I'll check that out! Did it take you long to get the hang of using it? Do you find it cooks faster than a normal pot? This is the part I'm intrigued by in particular...
Rubyrose Posts: 5522
took me a while to get used to it, but I just kept reading the book on how it works. It definately cuts times down on cooking, some receipes are cut by at least 30mins, my stews especially
Brilliant! I'll let you know if we decide to invest in one :thnk
ott Posts: 3920
I don't remember my mum every having a pressure, but I don't think anyone on our extended family has used one since my aunt's exploded one day. Cue cabbage all over the ceiling. That wouldn't go down well in your house cabbagehead.
teapotty Posts: 2085
A bit off topic but has anyone got a slow cooker? I'd be a bit paranoid about leaving something hot plugged in for hours when there's no one at home. http://www.thriftymammy.com/2010/03/24/ ... ow-cooker/ Love the idea of coming home to a nice stew ready to eat though.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="ott":agu0a3vb]I don't remember my mum every having a pressure, but I don't think anyone on our extended family has used one since my aunt's exploded one day. Cue cabbage all over the ceiling. That wouldn't go down well in your house cabbagehead.[/quote:agu0a3vb] :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie: :yelrotflmaosmilie:
[quote="ott":120sfhpl]I don't remember my mum every having a pressure, but I don't think anyone on our extended family has used one since my aunt's exploded one day. Cue cabbage all over the ceiling. That wouldn't go down well in your house cabbagehead.[/quote:120sfhpl] Oh I'll burn in hell but that post made me laugh out loud OTT :-8 :o0 :o0 :o0 But that's EXACTLY why I'm afraid of pressure cookers!! Have heard about explosions etc, but pressure cooker manufacturers all advertise the fact that new, modern ones could never explode... But then, they would say that! Teapotty, I've never had one, but my Mom had one back when she was a single girl living in a flat with her friends, they used to put stuff on in the morning and come home to dinner in the evening. I think if they're designed to be on all day, they should be safe? Unless you have pets or children that you'd be afraid might interfere with it?