Pressure in Pelvis and inner thighs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

leila1 Posts: 25
Hi there Hope someone can put my mind at ease. Had 2 weeks holidays and came back to work on Tuesday - am 26 weeks and no real problems to date thank god. Everything was going fine at work. I have a desk job so am sitting on my bum 90% of the time. However, I stood up to go for a stroll and got this terrible feeling of pressure in my pelvis and when I walked I got this horrible feeling at the top of my inner thighs. I am fine lying and sitting down but when I get up to walk - it whamm !!! Feels so stiff and painful and I have it 2 days now with no let up. Has anyone else experienced this?? The pressure down there makes me feel like babs wants to get out. Thanks a mill
freedom Posts: 126
Hi there. I have literally just come back from the doctor as I was having the same problem but more aching muscles on my inner thighs especially when I was walking. And when I got up in the mornings.This only started 2 days ago -am 33 weeks. Feels as if I have been horse riding! Anyway doc said it was nothing to worry about. She checked my urine in case I had an infection but all okay. Apparently it's just baby and my cervix expanding etc. It is quite painful though.
Hi there Freedom and thanks for replying. What you described is exactly what I have. Am glad to hear it's normal but will talk to my GP about it at my next appointment just to make sure all is ok Do you know if it's there to stay? - dont fancy this for the next 14 weeks or so :eek
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hi Girls, Sounds like a mild dose of SPD to me. I have suffered with it from about 25 weeks and still have it today. Agony and unfortunately it only got worse and worse for me as the weeks went by. I've been signed off work for at least 8 weeks now with it. Can't drive since about 2 weeks ago and bedtime is extremely uncomfortable and painful. Hopefully it's just a bit of pressure for you both and will pass in the next few days. I ended up in the Emergency Room with my pains and thankfully I was sent to attend physio once a week to try and ease the pains, it did help a little. As I say, I hope it's not this extreme for you both. BC x Got these selfhelp tips from the internet: • Avoid pushing through any pain. If something hurts, if possible don't do it. If this type of pain is allowed to flare up, it can take a long time to settle back down again. • Move little and often. You may not feel the effects of what you are doing until later in the day or after you have gone to bed. • Rest regularly by sitting reasonably upright with your back well supported. • Avoid heavy lifting or pushing (supermarket trolleys can be particularly painful). • When dressing, sit down to put on clothing such as your knickers or trousers. Pull the clothing over your feet and then stand up to pull them up. Don't try to put your legs into trousers, skirts or knickers whilst standing up. • When climbing stairs, go up them one step at a time. Step up onto one step with your best leg and then bring your other leg to meet it. Repeat with each step. • Avoid separating your legs and making straddling movements -- such as when getting in and out of the car or bath. If you need to separate your legs, do so slowly and carefully and keep your back arched. • Avoid swimming breaststroke if you can and take care with other strokes. Swimming can often feel like it is helping whilst you are in the water but cause an increase in pain when you get out. • Performing regular pelvic floor exercises and lower abdominal exercises can help to reduce the strain of the pregnancy on your pelvis. To perform a safe and easy lower abdominal exercise, get down onto your hands and knees and level your back so that it is roughly flat. Breathe in and then as you breathe out, perform a pelvic floor exercise and at the same time pull your belly button in and up. Hold this contraction for 5-10 seconds without holding your breath and without moving your back. Relax the muscles slowly at the end of the exercise.
OMG babycake - I couldnt imagine it getting worse and worse by the week. Dont know how I'd manage. Thanks for the tips - will bear them in mind and hopefully it will pass. I really feel for you though because it's so bloody painful. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy :wv
freedom Posts: 126
Thanks for those tips babycake. I kind of thought that this was what I had. I do find if I try to do too much it gets worse and I just HAVE to sit down and take the weight off. And I frequently wake during the night with these pains. Do you think physio might help? Is this what is recommended? I suppose I shouldn't complain too much as my pregnancy up until this week has gone so well with no aches/pains or sickness. Poor you having it for so long! But 7 weeks like this - I'd try anything that might help! Thanks again. :thnk
tinyfairy Posts: 1536
Hey freedom, I would definitely recommend physio but it really depends on what hospital you are attending as to whether they will send you or not. As I said I ended up in the Emergency Room with dire pain and they booked me in for physio as a result of that - I'm attending the Rotunda. Have you mentioned it at your visits yet??? When is your next visit to the hospital?? All you can do is explain the pain you're in and suggest physion and see what they say.. I really hope the pain goes for you soon, it might just be the baby's position at the moment (hopefully!) BC x