Priests suggestion re mass time?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

joker Posts: 2789
Hey girls, the priest suggested to me as we are having the wedding at 1.30 to put 1.15 on the invites so everyone will be on time. I am a very punctual person and hate being late so I don't intend to be late for the wedding. But if we put 1.15 on the invites everyone will be there at 1-10 to 1-20 or so and I'll arrive bang on for 1.30 and the ceremony can get underway at the proper time tho the guests will think I'm 15 min late or those that know me well will know it's a trick to get everyone on time!! Did anyone ever do this or is anyone else doing this? The priest said he knows a few couples who did this n I'm liking the idea....
Excited2010 Posts: 777
No i put the right time down, people have mentioned turing up late so i have spread it around by word of mouth that i wont be late. Even the priest said it. Told them that i will be there on time and if im not something has happened out of my control
JellySnakes Posts: 2201
Hi my mam did this at her wedding 2 years ago. She put on the invites that the wedding was at 1.30 but it really wasn't until 2. Like you my mam is very punctual and hates being late. It went down a treat,as people were still trickling in after 1.30,so when mam got there at 2 everyone was seated and no one even mentioned that they thought she was a half an hour late. I will be using the same trick myself. :wv
Gembira Posts: 847
I think that's a good idea. When I was bm for my friend there were people still coming in when she was standing outside waiting to walk up the aisle, I just thought it was so rude! I hopefully shouldn't have this problem as the majority of my guests will be staying in the hotel the night before the wedding and we've put a coach on to take people to and from the church so I know the majority of them will be there before me! Anyone not on the coach will probably follow the coach so should be there around the same time. If we weren't I would definitely have told everyone an earlier time.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
Put the correct time on the invites. That's what ushers are for. We got a friend of OHs to hand out mass booklets in the church but also asked him to go outside near to the time the mass was starting and get stragglers into the church. We had very few people hanging around outside anyway and no one was late. I think most people know to be seated for the time on the invite.
[quote="Mrs Dodders ":28s5hmi3]Put the correct time on the invites. That's what ushers are for. We got a friend of OHs to hand out mass booklets in the church but also asked him to go outside near to the time the mass was starting and get stragglers into the church. We had very few people hanging around outside anyway and no one was late. I think most people know to be seated for the time on the invite.[/quote:28s5hmi3] That's fine if they're actually at the church, with my friend's wedding they were only just turning up! Disrupted all the pictures she was having taken at the door of the church and outside the church because they were trying to sneak in around us.
I think that's the exception rather than the rule. It's incredibly rude to ignore the time on the invite and I've never come across it. Neither have my parents or siblings who have also been to plenty of weddings. You can tie yourself in knots trying to get the timing just right to avoid stargglers but it will drive you nuts. Just go ahead with the time that suits you and it's up to the guests to show respect and be on time. Also, as I said the usher will get people in and our sacristan made sure no one interrupted the photos. The sacristan wants everything to go on time so it's in their interests to stop people hanging around outside.
That's true although I would imagine that the priest who has suggested it has been to quite a number of weddings too. If he thinks it's a good idea he's probably seen it happen a good few times as well.
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
We are having a civil ceremony and the hotel suggested putting a slightly earlier time on the invites as they say people are always late. When I was BM we arrived at the church with the bride and half the guests were still outside and only arriving. Some guests refused to go in until all the pictures outside had been taken which I thought was very rude.
I'm not trying to say I know it all... I'm trying to say, as a former bride, that you need to let go alittle. Trust others to do their job and reailse you can't plan or control every little thing. The sacristan and ushers are the ones who get people into the church. No matter what time you put on the invites some people may turn up late anyway. That's life.