Primary School teaching - advice please?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MizMelanie Posts: 1443
I saw someone recently posted about returning to college so I thought I’d get people’s opinion on my own situation and see what they think. I am hoping to return to college next year to do a graduate diploma in primary school teaching. I want to do the full time course in st pat’s or marino rather than the Hibernia online option. But my problems are as follows – 1. our house is tiny and we were gonna move out and rent for a while before buying again once we’re married which we could easily afford on my current salary but not obviously if I was back in college and not earning. 2. salary – I’d have to take a pay cut of over 50% :ooh :eek once qualified but we are looking at the other benefits – i.e. I always wanted to become a teacher (my mam is one! :) ) so would be much happier, once we have children then there is the advantage of longer holidays etc so we wouldn’t need to pay childminders as much etc, so there are lots of benefits too 3. jobs – I’m aware that lots of teachers are struggling to find jobs but on the other hand I see my Mam’s school struggling to find substitutes and they end up having unqualified people teaching regularly in their schools – so perhaps it’s not everywhere. In addition I know the dept has sanctioned more posts over the next few years and I think there’s a baby boom underway which would mean further jobs – but this is a consideration 4. my current employers – are lovely people – I don’t mind what I do and I’m well paid but I don’t love it! But I would feel as though I’m letting them down as they’ve given me amazing opportunities to travel and get promoted etc – I know this shouldn’t have an impact What do ye think? Would I be mad to go back to college and be poor again (H2B is ALL for it by the way – thinks I’d be a great teacher and is happy to support me and he has a v good secure job so there’d be no money worries in terms of paying mortgage, having disposable income – other than me having none!). I am 27 if that has any impact. I always wanted to be a teacher but was a little afraid that if I didn’t love it then I’d be trapped but I know now I should have gone with it in the first place! Not sure what to do so all advice very welcome particularly form any teachers who might have a better idea re jobs situation!!
hana Posts: 5
i gave up a really good job during the boom about 3 years ago to go back to do primary teaching and it was the best decision i ever made. I had a 7 year old at the time and a deposit put on a house. I pulled out of the house and moved back in with my mam to do this. I went down the hibernia route though so i was able to work while i was doing it. I gained alot of experience and found the teaching practices alot easier than some of my friends who were in Pats and Marino because i was teaching the whole time. I'm now teaching in a school around the corner from where i live and am able to spend all my time with my little boy. I'm not saying it wasn't very tough, it was the hardest 18 months i've gone through, but now after that short period I'm loving the time i have and the enjoyment that it gives me so it was well worth it. I really think u should go for it now or else u could regret it.hope this helps u in some way
lux Posts: 6270
Another perspective...... I was a teacher for a couple of years. It is now virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get a permenant job anywhere. Being on contract work or sub work will mean it can be difficult to get a mortgage, loan etc. Also due to the public sector recruitment freeze which will be in place until 2014 (as per Croke Park agreement) until then the chances of a job are slim. I know there are gaps whereby people who are not qualified end up in sub posts but it is actually quite rare in most schools. I would think very hard about this, I was in law and took a major hit to teach, now I loved it and just happened to be offered my current dream job when I finished a school year but I would have very little job security had I stayed in the profession as very few in my college class have been offered permenant posts so far (four years on) HTH
ludicrous Posts: 529
I am returning to college in September to do primary teaching although there's one major difference! i'm completely up-rooting our lives here and moving us over to England to do it! We're just married so i realise that its not the best timing, but like you its all i ever wanted to do and realise now that its what i should have done in the first place. So, we took the decision last year to go for it. And while timing may not be the best, we still agree that if i didn't do it now before we have kids and have a mortgage then we would most likely never do it. I'm excited about the prospect of it, but nervous too. Nervous because i know how difficult and time-consuming the course is (my BF just graduated last month from it), nervous that H2B won't get a job out there, nervous that i won't get a job at the end of it all, nervous going back to college and starting out all over again. BUT, i'm hoping that it'll be worth it. I know there are VERY few jobs out there and this is a major worry of mine, esepecially as lux mentioned as we will plan on starting to build our house as soon as we get home, however if we cant get a mortgage then this won't happen. I'm lucky in that i am able to take a career- break from my current employment in order to study for a year so i may have this job to come back to (depending on the state of the economy). But i agree that this is a major worry!! My advice is to go for it, your H2B sounds as if he is right behind you on it so once you have the support of those around you it'll be alot easier. Good luck with your decision!
Hmm ok - some contrasting replies there! I suppose if I couldn't find a job/permanent or otherwise straightaway, it wouldn't be the end of the world, as I could always return to work in my current profession which is relatively insulated from the recession and there are plenty of jobs as it's a niche area i suppose. Maybe then Hana, the Hibernia course would be an option as I could continue my current role, although I'd have to try and organise a 3 day week or smth as it'd be way too stressful to keep fulltime. Thanks Lux for the advice and esp re the recruitment freeze but since I wouldn't be qualified until 2012 that would bring me nearer to 2014 :) The other point re a job is that, and I don't want to sound totally naive, but my Mum is a principal and has a lot of contacts in various schools in the area and so I think I'd be in a good position, if not to get a perm job, but to be called for regular subbing etc until I could get a full time position and I know basically all the teachers in the area - they're all my mam's friends! I did this for years when I was a student (although I know there were more jobs around then!). I guess I don't want to get to 35 or smth in my current career, not fully happy and then be sorry because I suppose I feel that with teachers retiring every year, there will eventually be a job for me!! Oh Ludicrous - thanks for that! Sounds like we are in a similar position - getting married and then back to college - talk about doing it all backwards! Good luck with it and let me know how it goes for you!
Painter2 Posts: 218
My best friend was in a great job here for years and then moved to London to do primary school teaching. She uprooted her life, her BF and had no income, in a strange country and all she ever did was tell me how happy she was!!! She is now an amazing teacher and while the industry (like nearly all work areas) is very tough at the minute she has a job and if she didnt she'd still be happy waiting for one to come up as she was born to be a teacher!! Just quickly on my own situation I gave up a very big career in Law three years ago to follow my dream. EVERYONE told me I was mad and I was without income and had given up great job security. it was hard but I just had to give it a go. Three years on I have my own business, cant get made redundant or fired as work for myself and guess what...several of my former colleagues have since been made redundant. So much for job security since they were in reallly high paying, seemingly secure positions like me. Well, they cant find jobs anywhere and I'm busy doing my own thing, happy out, and NEVER have I once regrettetd turning my life upside down. The most important thing when doing something like this is to have support and encouragement and since your DH sounds really supportive I'd say if its really what you want then go for it. Dont let fear stop you. And yes, income is important and job security but nothing beats being happy, and I mean real happiness (where even if you only have €1 in your pocket you still have a smile on your face because you are following your dream!!!) Best of luck. Let us know what you decide. :compress
happieout Posts: 3111
happieout Posts: 3111
[quote="MizMelanie":2nosrdcy]Hmm ok - some contrasting replies there! I suppose if I couldn't find a job/permanent or otherwise straightaway, it wouldn't be the end of the world, as I could always return to work in my current profession which is relatively insulated from the recession and there are plenty of jobs as it's a niche area i suppose. Maybe then Hana, the Hibernia course would be an option as I could continue my current role, although I'd have to try and organise a 3 day week or smth as it'd be way too stressful to keep fulltime. Thanks Lux for the advice and esp re the recruitment freeze but since I wouldn't be qualified until 2012 that would bring me nearer to 2014 :) The other point re a job is that, and I don't want to sound totally naive, but my Mum is a principal and has a lot of contacts in various schools in the area and so I think I'd be in a good position, if not to get a perm job, but to be called for regular subbing etc until I could get a full time position and I know basically all the teachers in the area - they're all my mam's friends! I did this for years when I was a student (although I know there were more jobs around then!). I guess I don't want to get to 35 or smth in my current career, not fully happy and then be sorry because I suppose I feel that with teachers retiring every year, there will eventually be a job for me!! Oh Ludicrous - thanks for that! Sounds like we are in a similar position - getting married and then back to college - talk about doing it all backwards! Good luck with it and let me know how it goes for you![/quote:2nosrdcy] You are not naive in saying that at all about your mam - that's how the world works. The more contacts you have the better, your mam can prepare you for interviews and you'll hear about any vacancies coming up. I have a lot of relatives in primary teaching and they all got subbing throughout college and a lot of info about where jobs were coming up
Aw everyone is so positive - I'm half tempted to run into my boss and tell them all now!! :o0 Ok, no I have to be sensible - getting married in Dec and have the money saved already so will just concentrate on saving for the course now and preparing for being a full time student again! I am going to apply to hibernia as well in case I don't get the course in Pats or marino but hopefully I will as I've good Irish results and a fair bit of subbing experience. Oh the excitement!!! :o)ll What will I be like back in college - oh and a student card again - yay - 10% discounts!! Thanks greeniegirl for the comment re the house - we are happy there for now and sure children are at least 3 years away so hopefully by then things will be better and I'll be in full time employment as a muinteoir!! :eek at the fact that childminders charge for the summer - I can't believe that! I suppose it makes some sense though as otherwise they wouldn't take on children of teachers knowing they will only be paid for 9 or 10 months of the year.
peacockgirl Posts: 1312