Priory Hall- why?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

workingmom Posts: 3429
Can someone please explain why the big deal over this development, with NAMA and the dublin city council scrambling to find alternative accomodation? Not seeking to cause any trouble, I am just intrigued by it all.
Emme Posts: 4735
Because people bought homes in good faith and the developer left them unfinished and in such a hazordous condition that a court ruled that they have to be evacuated and put the fire brigade on standby. So you have families in need of somewhere to stay who are still paying mortgages on homes they cannot live in and dublin city council are trying to help them out as I don't think any of them want to stay in hotels...and who could blame them. God help them and I hope they're all home for Christmas.
workingmom Posts: 3429
Ok, now I see, thanks Emme.
randomusername Posts: 2134
It's not that the development is unfinished, it's that developers self regulate and gave themselves fire safety certs for this development when it isn't anywhere near safe. These people are being made homeless while the developer fannys about making half efforts to fix them. AFAIK from a surveyor who's been in there for the last few months they pretty much need to be knocked down and rebuilt. There is very little worth saving on them and its a miracle no one has been killed to date. The residents are currently being put into hotels, entire families sandwiched into hotel rooms having to buy breakfasts/lunch/dinners etc which is something they can ill afford what with paying mortgages on their apartments. Trying to utilise the properties taken over by NAMA is about the only sensible thing that has been put on the table but give it time and no doubt they'll screw that up to! >:o( >:o( This is just the tip of the ice berg, there'll be a lot more of this kind of thing coming to light over the coming years
reine Posts: 1771
[quote="randomusername":3bux40wf]It's not that the development is unfinished, it's that developers self regulate and gave themselves fire safety certs for this development when it isn't anywhere near safe. These people are being made homeless while the developer fannys about making half efforts to fix them. AFAIK from a surveyor who's been in there for the last few months they pretty much need to be knocked down and rebuilt. There is very little worth saving on them and its a miracle no one has been killed to date. The residents are currently being put into hotels, entire families sandwiched into hotel rooms having to buy breakfasts/lunch/dinners etc which is something they can ill afford what with paying mortgages on their apartments. Trying to utilise the properties taken over by NAMA is about the only sensible thing that has been put on the table but give it time and no doubt they'll screw that up to! >:o( >:o( This is just the tip of the ice berg, there'll be a lot more of this kind of thing coming to light over the coming years[/quote:3bux40wf] Well said! The whole thing is an absolute disgrace. Those poor people. A friend of mine owns an apartment there. It's an awful development. Should never have been built in the first place!
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
I live in close to these apartments and all i can say is OMG these are disgraceful looking, when I was pregnant myself and dh went walking and ended up walking in there and how people paid for these shacks I'll never know, Cars were parked all over the roads as the underground car parks were unsafe and had no lighting, I feel so sorry for these poor people especially ones with children having to go through what they have :o(
aylala Posts: 3673
Im just scared for other people now as I very much doubt this was the only complex that this happened in O:| Its a disgrace
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I have another question - how were these issues not brought to the attention of buyers when getting engineers reports, doing snag lists etc prior to purchase? I don't understand how all these apartment sales went through completion when there were such serious issues outstanding. On a side note (and I know it's easy talk in hindsight) but developers should not be allowed to start selling units, whether they be apartments or houses, until an entire complex or estate is fully complete and that includes roads, street lights, green areas etc. It's bad enough people having bought in places that are only half or less occupied but I feel really sorry for those who have bought in estates with half built houses and rubble piles alongside them. There should certainly never again be a situation whereby people are queuing for hours on end just to put a deposit on a place "off the plans". It might also halt developers building 100's of houses en masse as they would have to completely finish one project before having finance to begin the next. Oh I could go on...... >:o(
blondiechick Posts: 1641
There's a lot of mis-information in this thread. My opinions on the matter: *) The Planning Authority issues Fire Certs - The Fire Service does the certs.In the case of Priory Hall, the Senior Officer in Fire Prevention did their job perfectly well and a fire cert was granted to the developer. *) The developer built the building NOT in accordance with the fire cert - main areas it fell down were means of escape, internal rooms where they shouldn't be and lack of any fire detection systems *) The building was designed correctly but the architect who designed the building was NOT the same architect who signed off on the building *) Fire Service would not have been aware of any issues until an issue arose in the carpark area and the Fire Service were called in. On foot of this, Senior Prevention Officers inspected the whole building and saw that there were serious deficiencies in the building.
randomusername Posts: 2134
Sorry Green Dragon, where is the misinformation? The developers self regulate, they agree to do certain things and didn't do them and had their fire cert, there was a guy from the co co on the radio during the week admitting that fire officers didn't visit even a quarter of new builds during the boom.