prison discussion

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nelly Posts: 1875
On the limerick topic. I do honestly believe that Spike island (craggy like) should be reopened and inmates be made to become self sufficient, if you grow it you can eat it - if you don't you starve. It makes my blood boil to know that these F**kers get minded more and more spent on them than children and those down on their luck in this country. if you play you pay - except the taxpayer ends up paying.
JuliaItaly Posts: 922
You should pass the social welfare offices on a Friday and see the 08 BMW jeeps pulled up going in taking the taxpayers money. >:o( They are protected 100% more than you or I. [quote="nelly":1sbuahbi]On the limerick topic. I do honestly believe that Spike island (craggy like) should be reopened and inmates be made to become self sufficient, if you grow it you can eat it - if you don't you starve. It makes my blood boil to know that these F**kers get minded more and more spent on them than children and those down on their luck in this country. if you play you pay - except the taxpayer ends up paying.[/quote:1sbuahbi]
[quote="JuliaItaly":1jc3ng5s]You should pass the social welfare offices on a Friday and see the 08 BMW jeeps pulled up going in taking the taxpayers money. >:o( They are protected 100% more than you or I.[/quote:1jc3ng5s] it truly is sickening.DH was on the dole (between jobs) and it took weeks before his 200e a week came in - and he got off it as quick as he could, and these fuckers get discounted houses money handed to them with no intention to work or pay their dues.
Mistified Posts: 2680
A friend of mine works in a sports shop and the prison officers have an account where they come in and stock up on top brand runners and tracksuits for the inmates. I'm paying for them and have to go to the Nike factory shop in Kildare myself!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
This country is the biggest [b:1tdmfeth][size=200:1tdmfeth]JOKE[/size:1tdmfeth][/b:1tdmfeth] O:| O:| O:| O:| O:|
[quote="Mistified":20lw3nse]A friend of mine works in a sports shop and the prison officers have an account where they come in and stock up on top brand runners and tracksuits for the inmates. I'm paying for them and have to go to the Nike factory shop in Kildare myself![/quote:20lw3nse] well at least the ST. Vincent de Paul but the clothes for the women's prison in MtJoy. it is a disgrace. they should be thrown stripy pajamas and bare feet - save the country a fortune right there.
BusyDee Posts: 8527
Id love to know what brain dead imbecile thought one day - "prisoners should be treated better - lets give them brand new clothes & shoes, T.Vs in there cells, nice food etc". They should be out in chain gangs working on the roads and cleaning up litter. Makes me f ucking sick!
CDee meet your sister. O-O Im all for helping those on the wrong side but i think your rights should be revoked when you walk throught he jail doors and earned thereafter - education should be up to LC and no more - i have to laugh that they can do open university and study legal studies (i can't afford it and had to save for 2 years before embarking on my course) and the latter course - they learn how to sidestep the law.
Mistified Posts: 2680
The Law Reform Commission did a study on the prison system in Ireland in the 1980s I think it was, and basically it recommended that the system here should largely be about reform rather than punishment. If you contrast this with some states in the US who still employ capital punishment you can see how far removed we are from a punitive prison system. It's a good system in theory but clearly not in practice.
Dolphin Lover Posts: 303
surely reform implies they didn't know what they were doing??