Private-abortion adverts?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
What do you all think about the new rules passed by the CAP and the BCAP to allow Private Abortion clinics to advertise on TV, radio etc in the UK?
Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
I think the subject of your post is totally misleading. Private abortion clinics are now allowed to advertise on TV - not the same as "pro-abortion" adverts. Otherwise, they are providing a legal service, and non-profits providing termination services are already allowed to advertise on TV so legally I don't think it would make sense to stop them. Obviously I don't think adverts actually promoting abortion as the best choice should be made legal. But that's not what is being proposed.
Bazinga T McBinkers Posts: 4718
I think that non-profit organisations would provide a more balanced service - counselling etc... Whereas I think private organisations wouldn't push that service enough, as they make their money from abortions. I could be wrong, they could provide as good a counselling as non-profit organisation. I'm not sure whether they should be advertised on TV however as I wouldn't agree with a religious advert condemning abortion. I think any advert for abortion is Pro-abortion but I take your point and title amended.
Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
[quote:27kpkism]I think that non-profit organisations would provide a more balanced service - counselling etc... Whereas I think private organisations wouldn't push that service enough, as they make their money from abortions. I could be wrong, they could provide as good a counselling as non-profit organisation. [/quote:27kpkism] That's a good point Bazinga. All organisations should provide unbiased counselling - otherwise it's unfair advertising. I don't know enough about the situation to comment then. They also changed the law about biased pro-life organisations. These organisations have to be clear that they do not refer people for terminations during their counselling....which I think it's good. I guess, I think that all these adverts target people in vulnerable and often secretive positions so I think they should be highly regulated and as clear as possible about the services that they offer.