*****private care *****help please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sally2010 Posts: 16
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can give me some information on the fees charged for private maternity care. It seems each hospital - consultant has a different price -- so I'm wondering if any1 can break it down for me - It's the added extras that may bring up the cost - e.g Mount Carmel have a cheaper consultant package but seem to charge baby care charge of €177 night. I have a consultant in mind for each hospital ... but all advice welcome. Thanks :lvs
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
Just replied to you on the Dec thread. My consultant is €4500, excellent care & very frequent scans. Includes 4d scanning package. Didn't have to pay a penny to the hospital, insurance took care of everything. Got private room both times.
La La Land Posts: 226
I went private last time to Holles St with Declan Keane, it cost €4500 but I think it's probably gone up since (normally it goes up about €100 each year). I didn't get a private room my first night but got one for the 2nd and 3rd night.
niamh086 Posts: 119
Hi just looking at the posts and am glad I dont live in Dublin anymore ladies!!!I am going private in Waterford though its a public hospital.Have brilliant consultant who came highly recommended and his fees are £2500.Rang VHI to see if any hidden charges and they said everything in hospital is covered by them even the epidural.Best thing to do is compare packages on offer if you are just as happy with each consultant!! Best of luck
Trafford Posts: 463
I am in Portlaoise and my consultant charges the same as Niamh's. After taking health insurance and tax relief into account, the cost to us is €1,600. I have heard of some people spending that on a travel system or nursery furniture :eek .
Marpat Posts: 1784
i'm im the coombe. Consultant is 3900. think only extra is the anamoly scan at 20 weeks. 120 euro. VHI will cover the stay in a private room (if available)
Emomc Posts: 2069
[quote="Trafford":1q3psvzj]I am in Portlaoise and my consultant charges the same as Niamh's. After taking health insurance and tax relief into account, the cost to us is €1,600. I have heard of some people spending that on a travel system or nursery furniture :eek .[/quote:1q3psvzj] I take your point Trafford but in fairness some peole feel that money is better spent on those things rather than on private health care, as in many hospitals the level of care is very much the same, private or public. Also in todays climate some people can't afford private health care and would rather spend the money on stuff for the baby. €1,600 can go a long way on baby stuff! BTW I am going private but I gave it a lot of thought to justify it this time around.
Trafford Posts: 463
[quote="Emomc":2svsqdhy][quote="Trafford":2svsqdhy]I am in Portlaoise and my consultant charges the same as Niamh's. After taking health insurance and tax relief into account, the cost to us is €1,600. I have heard of some people spending that on a travel system or nursery furniture :eek .[/quote:2svsqdhy] I take your point Trafford but in fairness some peole feel that money is better spent on those things rather than on private health care, as in many hospitals the level of care is very much the same, private or public. Also in todays climate some people can't afford private health care and would rather spend the money on stuff for the baby. €1,600 can go a long way on baby stuff! BTW I am going private but I gave it a lot of thought to justify it this time around.[/quote:2svsqdhy] Yes, agreed. Clearly some others just have different priorities.Personally I would rather put my money into mine and baby's health than into furniture etc. The baby won't know any better if it has to sleep in a cardboard box.