Private in Rotunda - Do you see a midwife at each visit

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
I'm going private but have only seen a midwife on my first visit at 9wks. Is this normal? I went S-P on last 2 pregnancies and I got to see a midwife for every visit, they checked urine sample, blood pressure and took bloods when required. I've been in for 4 visits so far (2 unplanned) and I've not see anyone except the consultant. I'm not supposed to be doing combined care so as far as the hospital knows my urine and bp have not been taken since 9wks. Is this normal??
Daisyboo Posts: 1347
I only sceen a midwife once at my first vist. Sceen my consultant for the rest of the pregnancy . My consultant, always checked my bp and urine at every vist .
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Consultant never checks bp or urine. Starting to think I got the short end of the stick when I choose my consultant :o( I've been going to my GP so at least she checks bp and urine for me, but really it's the point.
Daisyboo Posts: 1347
[quote="Rocket Queen":1drcs9rw]Consultant never checks bp or urine. Starting to think I got the short end of the stick when I choose my consultant :o( I've been going to my GP so at least she checks bp and urine for me, but really it's the point.[/quote:1drcs9rw] What consulatant are you attending RQ ??? My consulatant was excellent I have to say . I always brought in my urine sample to him, and handed it to him :-8 . Do you actually bring a sample with you when you see him .
Dee-Lite Posts: 403
I only saw midwife when I went private at my booking appointment at 12 weeks and then at about 28 weeks as I needed to have bloods rechecked for rhesus antibodies as I am Rh negative. Otherwise all my visits were with my consultant and I brought in urine sample with me. I either got a sterilin (pee container) in the private clinic toilets or consultant gave it to me. He checked my urine at every appointment with a dip stick test but I can't say for sure that he always or ever checked BP, I am just not sure. He would also do a mini scan and check my tummy I suppose for fundal height etc. After that we would have a brief chat about how I was keeping and if I had any issues or questions. I would ask at your next appointment to have your urine test checked, it is quick and simple test for your consultant to perform.
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
I've only seen the midwife once, that was at my 11 week booking in/paperwork visit. I actually didn't give a urine sample then or get bp checked as I was going in to see Prof anyway that day. His midwife sonographer does the bp/urine sample test every time, unless for whatever reason she's not there & Prof is doing the scanning and then he does everything. You can get sample jars in the toilets in the private clinic, just hand one over to your consultant when you go in the next time & he'll have to test it! I'd also ask him to take your bp, make a point of saying that he's never taken it so far & is he not concerned about it? HTH x