Private v's Semi Private - Coombe

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs. Slater Posts: 158
Hi Girls, Went to doctor yesterday and he confirmed my due date as 2nd October :o)ll . He then chatted about my hospital options. I will be doing combined care at his surgery with the midwife - which I am happy about as both as so nice and thorough. Just confused as to what option to take private v's semi private in the Coombe. My Dr. has recommended semi private or even public. He thinks as long as your pregnancy is normal that a consultant is a waste of money. What do you think?
Baby Mad Posts: 1756
Congratulations Mrs Slater :o)ll I'm going Semi Private in the Coombe purley because I have VHI which covers most of the expenses. TBH we just don't have 4,000/5,000 to pay for a consultant. I think the only difference is you'll be guaranteed to see your own consultant every time whereas semi private/public you may get to see a member of the team? Best of luck
Mrs. Slater Posts: 158
Thanks Babymad. I think I'll go Semi Private. Do you have to ring to make apt. for Semi Private or just turn up at Coombe? Sorry for all questions!
I emailed them when I got confirmation from my GP [email protected] You just have to let them know: Name Address DOB PH NO: EDD (estimated due date) Date of last period and they should come back to you with two appointments, one to see the midwife at 12/13 weeks and a DR appt 4 weeks later. The fees are €600 Ante Natal Fees. €300 for scans (we've only had one big scan so have only paid €100 and they won't send you up there again unless there is something wrong or they want something checked).
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
[quote="Baby Mad":2ym8nbxj]I emailed them when I got confirmation from my GP [email protected] You just have to let them know: Name Address DOB PH NO: EDD (estimated due date) Date of last period and they should come back to you with two appointments, one to see the midwife at 12/13 weeks and a DR appt 4 weeks later. [u:2ym8nbxj][b:2ym8nbxj]The fees are €600 Ante Natal Fees. €300 for scans [/b:2ym8nbxj][/u:2ym8nbxj](we've only had one big scan so have only paid €100 and they won't send you up there again unless there is something wrong or they want something checked).[/quote:2ym8nbxj] Sorry but that is scandalous! :eek I have had about 5 scans now and have NOT paid one penny!! And I have met the same doc (not the consultant now) but the same doc at EVERY visit and I am public! The only thing is I’ll be on a ward with 6 other people were by you’ll be on a ward with 4……but if you ring up the week before your due date and change to semi private you’ll get into the 4 bed ward and only have to pay for your stay…. NO WAY I’d pay that amount of money for less care than a public patient!
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
Double post- Sorry!
Sorry I didn't explain that very well :-8 Its €600 Antenatal fees of which we can claim back €380 when the baby is born. The €300 is for scans up in the Ultrasound Department which I agree is scandoulous but we only had our 12 week scan up there. We get a scan with our Dr in his room when we visit which we don't pay for so (fingers crossed that nothing is wrong) we won't be sent back up the Ultrasound Department so won't have to pay anymore so we've only paid €700 and will get €380 back. TBH this is my first pregnancy and the only reason I went Semi Private was because I had VHI and thought I might as well use it :-8