Private v Semi Private in Rotunda????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs March Posts: 175
Hi there, Trying to decide whether to go Private or Semi in Rotunda. Doc really recommended a private consultant as being really great - scans all the time etc. Their fees are €3,600. Semi-P fees are €600 and about €300 is able to be claimed back from this from VHI/Tax ??? Can you claim back tax on the private consultant's fees? Just called hubby and was leaning towards semi myself as we're not flush at the moment but he said deffo go for the private. What do people think??? Thanks!
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
Look it up to your self, but I went semi in the rotunda and I had to pay €500 which I could claim 42% back on med 1. I saw the same consultant every visit and was in there for max 1hr each time. The only way you would see baby on the scan each time is if the consultant has a scanner in his rooms. Also you only get a private room if one is available. Semi you share with 3 others and you have own shower room etc in the Lille Suite its really nice. My consultant just happened to be on duty when I went into labour and was there while I had Lucy. In my opinion, just fora few extra scans I wouldnt be paying €3k, but its up to you. My doc was DR. Warwick smith and he was a dream. He rang stu 2 days after we got home to see how me and baby was and how stu and hayley were. Each time I went in he always asked about the family. I would reccomend him 100% :wv
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Those fees are crazy,my friend went private and when her baby was born her consultant was on holidays and she still had to pay,how ridiculous is that...whats the real difference anyway?
Oh that's interseting Baby Cakes, my booking apt with the Semi is Warwick Smith. (I've booked both Private and Semi today, I'll call tomorrow to cancel one). Hubby is saying "if something goes wrong......." etc but I don't believe from reading up on it that care is lesser with Semi, probably not with Public either. I'd say with a crisis they don't stop to ask, sorry, you with Private or else back to back of queue. Only worry is that my apt with Semi is for May14th, I'll be 17 and a half weeks at that stage. Does that seem like a long time to wait for the booking apt???? Thanks x
I understand the "if anything goes wrong", but there will be a consultant on call anyway so you wont have to worry about that. You get the same care whether it be public, semi or private and dolly is right if [b:3sfum3f9]your[/b:3sfum3f9] consultant is on the golf course on in spain sunning himself he will not be running back to deliver your baby. Warwick is lovley really really nice!!!!!!! The waiting time does seem a bit long, but in Hollis st, the first app is generally 20 weeks, plus you will get to see baba at this one and you will really have something to look at. Hope you do go with Warwick :wv Anymore questions feel free to ask :thnk
Tigletts Posts: 2904
I don't have VHI or anything, never got round to getting it after coming back from abroad. Does anyhow know how much I'd have to pay in the Rotunda if I go semi private then? Do you really wait for ages at each visit if you're public? (especially first one where you have to drink a pint and a half of water -- I'll be bursting to go :eek ) Can anyone tell me the differences between going public and semi-private?
Hi Tiglets, I went public in Rotunda on my first now it was nine yrs ago so maybe not the best person to advise re waiting times etc. But, maybe Im an easy going person and dont mind having to wait for certain things, ie to see how my baby is doing. I didnt have any problems there. The reason I went semi this time was that I had Vivas so I may as well of used it. There is no real differnece if you ask me, right you dont see the same doc in public everytime, but so what they are all qualified so whats the big deal??? You are going to get the same level of care no matter whether you are public, semi or private so dont be worrying or putting yourself under financial pressure. If you want to find out about the prices without vhi etc give the accouts a ring in the Rotunda. I got my statement from Vivas and the cost was €832 now I had baby at 11.40pm and I was at home the next day at 5, I dont like hospitals
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Thanks for that Babycakes. I've got my first appt next week in the Rotunda, so I'll see how I get on then, if I'm happy with what I see (going public) I'll stick to that I think. :wv
God, I am flipping between P and SP every ten minutes now. Three grand is alot to us at the moment but of course bean is everything to us. Do you think getting scanned at 11 weeks will show up anything that could be important as opposed to waiting until 17 weeks? Hubby now saying it's my decision and he'll back me either way. I am frazzled! :o(
11 week scan is generally a dating scan as far as I know, correct me if Im wrong. Please girls stop worrying about your little beans Im sure they are are happy healthy little beans bopping away in mommys tummy. :o)ll Also here is in Ireland I dont think they tell you if baby has downs or such, thats generally a nuchal scan I think it called and they only do this in UK. The reason I suppose they like waiting untill bean is a bit bigger for the "BIG PROPER SCAN" is so they can get a more acurate picture to give you. Maybe us wollies should all chip in for an ultra sound machine so we can have daily prictures of our babies. Mrs March, it is completly up to you whether to go private or semi, if you feel more at ease expecially on your first with going private and seeing baby on each visit that is your choice, and dont let others put you off. I just thought that semi was the way to go for me and am completly happy with my decision :wv