Probably a stupid question

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Bubba Bump Posts: 348
Just wondering, God Forbid but if you have to have an emergency C section, can you refuse an epidural and opt for a general anesthesia?
swissgirl Posts: 2301
I think in these circumstances the anesthetist recommends what should happen and it depends on what is happening. A friend of mine had placenta pervia and had an emergency c section with a general but she wanted an epidural - the anthetist said no.
Hopefully07 Posts: 2027
Ohh God if it was an emergency C section I wouldn't care what way they did it as long as they got the baby out. So I think that would be the least of you're worries!
molls Posts: 149
why would you prefer a GA over an epi anyway?
Bubba Bump Posts: 348
I don't want to have an epidural.
theoracle Posts: 7664
I had a threatened c section, and they would have given me epi only, but I already had one in. It depends on circumstances and also your personal health/risk factors. My sis had an epi c-section and a friend was fully under. I think in some circumstances an epi might take too long.
pattie Posts: 2379
I think if you didnt have an epi for labour already they would give you a spinal block not an epi for the section. The spinal block is one injection, so no tubes into your spine and it wears off very rapidly after the operation. Maybe you would find that less scary than the epi?
molls Posts: 149
GAs are not without risk, but the main reason I'd prefer not to have one (if there was any choice) is that you miss the birth of the baby. A friend who had a GA section said it was very weird to wake up and be handed a child and told it was yours. She kept quizzing her husband to ensure that he had not let it out of his sight so it was definitely theirs!
theoracle Posts: 7664
Molls, that is exactly what my friend said! It was a good while before she was fully aware of her surroundings, and she was so sleepy it took her ages to get back to 'normal' to be able to look after the DS.
newyearbabs Posts: 686
I don't want epi either but if had a choice I'd rather epi than GA. The reason I'd rather epi is because 1) I wouldn't want to miss the birth and 2) I've had GA's before and the knock the stuffing out of me it took me ages to get over them