Projected wedding expenses - anywhere I can cut costs?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

josiegrosie Posts: 152
Hi wollies! So after a frantic week, we have finally booked a venue, caterers, the church and then I can take a few weeks off before diving straight back into it all. I am having around 60 guests... So far: Venue - €5,500 (have it for three days, can't wait) Caterers - €3,000 Church - €500 To organise (budgeted): Wine for 60 - €500 (plan to get it up north) Flowers - €200-300 (Smithfield market) Photographer - €1500 (mate's rate with a recently qualified one) Misc. decoration - €100-200 for centrepieces etc Dress - €200-300 Oxfam/Barnados affair Cake - being made be a friend I am sure I am forgetting something - thoughts?
Bree Van De Kamp Posts: 1275
Car Invitations Bridesmaids/Grooms Men Outfits Hair & Makeup Favours ? BM & GM Gifts ?
rubies Posts: 1375
Extra costs: music, wedding rings, grooms suit....... pre-marriage course, church.... I'm sure there's more just can't think either. *)
Miss Indecisive Posts: 996
Honeymoon??
brooklynbride Posts: 282
To be honest 1500 for a recently qualified photographer seems a lot, especially if it's a mate's rate as you say. We're paying less than that for our photographer who has been working for years. Is there any way you can get it down below that price? (Our price, however, is for CD only so that might make a difference)
Valkstar Posts: 2747
[quote="brooklynbride":1u24q15h]To be honest 1500 for a recently qualified photographer seems a lot, especially if it's a mate's rate as you say. We're paying less than that for our photographer who has been working for years. Is there any way you can get it down below that price? (Our price, however, is for CD only so that might make a difference)[/quote:1u24q15h] I was just thinking the same thing. Our photographer starts at €900....so you could definitely lower the price there. One other thing, I presume you've taken Ballybeg - have you budgeted for the second day? If people are coming for two days you'll probably be feeding them on the second day too.
WinterGal Posts: 835
- Make your own invitation and mass booklets (all mine cost about €120). - Somebody going to the wedding is bound to have a nice car, get them to drive you. - Do your own makeup. - Don't bother with favours, no one will notice. - Beat the hotel down in corkage if you haven't done so already. - Don't have any musicans in the Church, I didn't and loads of people commented on how nice the mass was! - I got silk bouquets from and the bottonholes for about €160. It might save you the hassle of making them. I got really good wine in Dublin for €9 a bottle, PM me if you want details. That's all I can think of at the moment.
Mammyof2Princesses Posts: 3745
get rid of the favours - TBH i think they are gone kind of tacky!! *)
NemoFish Posts: 2501
[quote="Valkstar":1lfi49ik][quote="brooklynbride":1lfi49ik]To be honest 1500 for a recently qualified photographer seems a lot, especially if it's a mate's rate as you say. We're paying less than that for our photographer who has been working for years. Is there any way you can get it down below that price? (Our price, however, is for CD only so that might make a difference)[/quote:1lfi49ik] I was just thinking the same thing. Our photographer starts at €900....so you could definitely lower the price there. One other thing, I presume you've taken Ballybeg - have you budgeted for the second day? If people are coming for two days you'll probably be feeding them on the second day too.[/quote:1lfi49ik] CD only makes a huge difference. One photographer that we looked at ffered us a very reasonable package that included printing some photos for us to put in an album ourselves. To go for a proper wedding album is about 300, and there is an awful lot of work involved, not including printing off the pics!
Shannoncailin Posts: 1038
I agree about the photographer. I think you can get a better deal than that. Especially if he is newly qualified. I would post over in vendors. I did when I was looking and I got loads of PM's. It was well worth it. Shop around for rings. We noticed quite a big difference in the price of wedding rings. Wine for 60 people (even at a bottle a person) will come in under your budget. Watch for offers. Invitations etc. Try ebay. I have seen some fabulous ones on there. Dresses etc. buy online from states. You will get really good value. Log on here regularly. It has been a huge source of help. All you have to do is ask :thnk