promotion - they can't discriminate you for being PG, right?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Woodstock Posts: 1565
hi girls, do you have a legal obligation to tell your employer you're PG or should you wait until 3 months have gone by to tell them? Reason is... I've been after a promotion in work for a while now and I've been given a small project to lead and the way I understand it, once the project goes to completion I should get this promotion. Now, I don't really want to tell them that I'm PG, not yet anyway, because the room for promotions every year are small and scarse and I'm in a technical role where the majority of my colleagues are men and I think that telling them I'm PG is asking them to give the promotion to someone else. How do you handle this? Do you have to tell them as soon as you know or as soon as the 12weeks have gone past? I'd be happy if I could buy myself some time to get this project over and done with and the promotion announced before I tell them I'm PG - or is that wrong?? Thx :thnk
Elliecat Posts: 2725
I definitely wouldn't tell them. Theoretically they shouldn't discriminate against you, but we all know in the real world that this is rarely the case. I think you have to tell them something like 4 weeks before your due date, but not before. Get the promotion secured and then tell them. Good luck!
AA11 Posts: 313
I totally agree with elliecat, I wouldn't tell them until you have to, ie. Your bump is too big for it to be anything else but a pregnancy.....
StayShiny Posts: 1078
Hi, here's the link for details on mat leave. as you can see you are legally obliged to tell them 4 weeks before you go on maternity leave that you want the maternity leave. You are not legally obliged to tell them prior to this, even though it'll be fairly obvious by then :) It's a fine line you have to thread there. Obviously you want to keep them happy with you in the long run. You certainly have no need to tell them in the first 3 months that you are pregnant. If only for obvious reasons, usually people wait until the "safe" period, that is the 2nd tri before announcing anything. But that totally up to you. I doubt anyone tells their work until at least the 12-14 week mark. I would expect them to totally understand that eh. Best of everything with the job eh. & of course big congrats on the pregnancy. :o)ll
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Don't tell them until you can no longer hide it and get your promotion! It's a disgrace that you have to keep your news to yourself but you go get that promotion girl and then sock the news to them :o0