Proposals - how did he/u ask? - Page 7

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

BigBird1 Posts: 1727
Aw, im getting all teary reading all of those proposals - makes me remember mine! :o( H2b and i live apart - he in Dublin, me in Cork, and have been for over two years. O:| I was going to Dublin for the weekend and on the Friday morning he text me first thing to say good morning and to check a drawer in my room where he had left something for me - in the drawer was an envelope addressed to me..inside were rose petals and the sweetest love letter. At the end of the letter it said that he would not talk to me until i saw him later, but i would be getting more letters over the course of the day with further instructions. He knows i hate to be kept in suspense, so he was loving it! Another text came through at lunchtime, telling me there was another letter in my car and where to go for it. Inside the envelope was another love letter, and some more rose petals. again the instruction that he would not talk to me until he saw me later! So i was kept in suspense until about 6pm when i was on the train to Dublin, and he text to tell me there was a third letter in my little jewellery case (which he knew i would have with me). Again the same thing, a fabulous letter and more petals. When the train reached the station, i got another text telling me to get the luas to Jervis. When i got there, i got another text telling me to go to the Morrison Hotel, and a room number. (because it was his birthday that week, and because we had stayed there the previous year for his birthday, I thought nothing of it and thought what a lovely but complicated way it was of telling me that he had booked us a night in a hotel!) So i got to the room he had directed me to, knocked on the door. He answered and was all dressed up in a suit. He took my bags from me and said to wait where i was. He came back to the door, and placed a scarf over my eyes, and lead me into the room. Our song was playing in the background, and he proceeded to make the most wonderful speech ever, and then after a minute, took the scarf off and turned me towards the bed, where there was an array of rose petals spelling out the words "WILL YOU MARRY ME" :xox :xxx :thnk I was so overcome by emotion, i couldnt speak - and that's not like me at all! I burst into tears and all i could do was nod until i found my voice about half an hour later and couldnt stop saying yes!! :o)ll :o)ll My wonderful finace had planned this moment for the month before that, and had spoken to my parents and all ( asking their "permission" which delighted my dad more than anything and for which i am eternally grateful) :xxx :lvs :lvs The following day we went ring shopping, and his birthday dinner on the saturday night was made even more special as a result of the night before! We have no date set as yet, but we will get there - then I have the rest of our lives to show him how much he means to me!! :)
july2009bride Posts: 532
We were on holiday in Australia (I lived there for 10 years and it's very special to me), and he proposed on the only day we had to ourselves in a beautiful spot in The Grampians, 3hrs from Melbourne with bush and water in the background *)
mmgirish Posts: 617
Well, my OH and I had never discussed marraige or long term plans before the proposal which is probably why he was so nervous. I was living in Manila, Philippines and he was studying in Brighton, England. He had flown to the Philippines for Christmas and the we were going out with friend to celebrate the last day of term and some birthdays that night. I was taking ages getting ready because I was so exhausted from teaching and he kept telling me to hurry up. He asked would I be quicker if he brought me a glass of wine. Of course I said yes but he returned with a bottle of pink champagne and two champagne flutes and asked me if I wanted to go up to the helipad on the 46th (top) floor of my apartment building to drink it. So, we were up there drinking the champagne and the night time view was absolutely stunning, I mentioned that it was amazing that we had a clear sky to see all the stars as you can'y usually see them in Makati with all the lights. I joked that the stars had come out just for us. He made me stand up and he got down on one knee and made this big speech and pulled a ring out from his pocket. It was awesome. We went out celebrating that night and we flew to KL the next day then on to Bali and the Gili islands for 3 weeks for our Christmas holiday. It was like a three week celebration! We are getting married this July and we are now both living in Manila.
deep1 Posts: 344
Cant believe im now married!!! Proposal seems only months ago!!!! It was xmas morning, we went for walk in Central Park......he was kinda waiting around n i was like..."come on walk on" - didnt realise he was waiting till people walked on...then he asked me :o)ll :o)ll I think its so nice, that each couple have their own special way....no story is the same :)
the winner Posts: 4148
These storys are lovely.. foxygrace how romantic .. :wv
mrstee Posts: 927
[quote="The Winner":3qh9oxs6]We were in new york in Febuary, (valentines week) we were there for 6 nights , on the 2nd last day i was realllly pissed off, (Ive a 6 yr old son and its the longest I was ever away from him and was finding it really hard) we went for a walk in central park , it was freezing cold and there was lots of people ice skating.... I was as grumpy as anything then my son phoned me and i was cheered up, H2B said can we stop walking for a min to look at the lakes and I was like ok so we stopped on this bridge [img:3qh9oxs6]http://www.galison.com/images_catalog/hh_bow_bridge.jpg[/img:3qh9oxs6] and he popped the question, I cried for about 10 minutes and could not even answer him , poor man just said are u happy or sad hahahah i was slightly emotional that day :D Were getting married in a 11 months and were 2gether 2 yrs last week:D and i have to say i have never been happier and never thought id meet someone like him:D im a very lucky gal:D[/quote:3qh9oxs6] the winner!!!! i just read back on your post and this is where we got engaged too!! i have the same photo, but in daylight that i took right after he popped the question..!!! mad! :o)ll
Twinkley Posts: 306
Welling up at your stories girls! Ok heres mine... We had planned a holiday to New York, which was the 1st trip to NY for us both. When closing the car door after being dropped at the airport, I wacked my mouth off the door and ended up getting on the plane with the fattest throbing lip. I was complaining of the pain all the way over the Atlantic and when we got to NY, there was torrential rain which didnt help my humour as well as finding that my GHD and hairdryer wouldnt work (- dont mean to sound vain)! We had booked a restaurant (River Cafe) for that first night which was under the Brooklyn Bridge and overlooked the NY skyline. It was a beautiful setting but as we were jetlagged, we didnt fancy eating the dinner that was being pushed on us and were too tired to eat. My H2B was in a jittery mood but just thought that he was tired after our long day. So we got a taxi back to our hotel and realised that the meal and taxi was more expensive than we had expected and hadnt enough money on us. When we arrived at the hotel, my H2B asked me to go up to our room and get more money out of the safety deposit (as he didnt want to leave me with the strange taxi man). The lift was broken so I had to climb up and down the 6 floors and was sweating! I was fed up at this stage and when we got to our room, I was still moaning, with my fat lip, streaky fake tan (from the rain!) and fuzzy hair! I was getting ready for bed and had my back to my H2B in the bedroom. He said that he had something very serious to talk to me about and I started thinking that he'd had enough of my moaning and of me and was going to break up with me! All these thoughts ran through my head like "how could he bring me to NY and then break up with me...! When I turned around he was on his knee and said some very emotional things and asked me to marry him!! I was totally gobsmacked and burst out crying (as he did too). He gave me the most beautiful heart-shaped necklace and told me that he had made us an appointment with a personal shopper for the following day in Tiffanys so as I could pick my ring. I was in total shock but always knew where were were heading from early on after we met and knew the proposal was coming but thought it wouldn't be as soon as it was. He also told me afterwards that his plan was to ask me on the Brooklyn Bridge but couldnt as it was lashing rain! He was also under pressure to ask me as had made the appointment in Tiffanys (about 3 months before) for the following day! Seems like a dream even now and am bursting to marrying my H2B this summer!
the winner Posts: 4148
[quote="mistee":bh731m4z][quote="The Winner":bh731m4z]We were in new york in Febuary, (valentines week) we were there for 6 nights , on the 2nd last day i was realllly pissed off, (Ive a 6 yr old son and its the longest I was ever away from him and was finding it really hard) we went for a walk in central park , it was freezing cold and there was lots of people ice skating.... I was as grumpy as anything then my son phoned me and i was cheered up, H2B said can we stop walking for a min to look at the lakes and I was like ok so we stopped on this bridge [img:bh731m4z]http://www.galison.com/images_catalog/hh_bow_bridge.jpg[/img:bh731m4z] and he popped the question, I cried for about 10 minutes and could not even answer him , poor man just said are u happy or sad hahahah i was slightly emotional that day :D Were getting married in a 11 months and were 2gether 2 yrs last week:D and i have to say i have never been happier and never thought id meet someone like him:D im a very lucky gal:D[/quote:bh731m4z] the winner!!!! i just read back on your post and this is where we got engaged too!! i have the same photo, but in daylight that i took right after he popped the question..!!! mad! :o)ll[/quote:bh731m4z] No way :D how rosemantic:D lol what are the chances.. I cant wait to go back to New York, Thinking of going back next november/december with H2B ( who will be DH by then ) and DS...
i know its mad. we got engaged last amy, wedding next march i went bak to nyc in feb to get my dress and back to tiffanys to get my wedding band! cant have a tiffany engagement ring and not have a tiffany wedding band!! :o0 :o0 :o0
i know its mad. we got engaged last may, wedding next march i went bak to nyc in feb to get my dress and back to tiffanys to get my wedding band! cant have a tiffany engagement ring and not have a tiffany wedding band!! :o0 :o0 :o0