Protein in Urine anyone got any experience of this?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
I have been in and out to the hospital since last Fri getting my bloods and urine tested i have protein in my urine 2+ and 4+. I have done repeat 24 hour urine assessment and blood tests and today i got the 1st part of the steroid injection to help develop the babies lungs quicker in case they need to induce me or section me early. My feet are also very swollen since last Sat week. I never had any protein in my urine in my first pregnancy so this is all new to me so im wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and how serious is it or should i be worried for me and/or my baby? I have to go back into the hospital tomorrow morning for the 2nd part of the steroid injection and they have also mentioned a kidney scan if it gets any worse.
Mommy2Two Posts: 704
Sorry to hear about this, it must be worrying. I had protein in my urine at 26+4 but a host of other issues too. Do you have high blood pressure or other symptoms? What did your doctor say to you? If they let you go home it can't be too urgent, I was admitted at that stage. Those steroid injections are sore, hope everything is a bit better tomorrow.
Dancing Queen Posts: 2591
I had all those problems on my first pregnancy, I started getting protein in my urine at 22 wks and BP was high. I had steroid injections for my baby's lungs and kidney scans ect. I ended up getting my baby to 38 wks but the down side was I spent 95% of the time in hosp being monitored. I ended up having a lovely healthy baby who was a little on the small side (which can be a major factor with pre eclamsia). Although at 6lb 2oz I didn't think she was that small!! In answer to your question, yes, it can be serious but if they think that you or baby is in any danger they will get baby out as quick as possible. Monitoring is the key and it sounds like they are doing that in your case, Best of luck and hope everything goes well for you :thnk :stork:
May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
Just to update girls i still have the protein in my urine and swollen feet and ankles but my blood pressure is fine. The doctors still are not sure if there may be something wrong with my kidneys and i am now having weekly check ups in the hospital and doing regular 24 urine collections for the lab to test the levels of protein in it. Yesterday my consultant said that although it is unusual i may have the early stages of pre eclampsia as i have the swollen feet and the protein in urine from 22 weeks and still no blood pressure problem but he said it may come yet so regular check ups on a weekly basis from now on.