Public Holidays During Additional Leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sherbetlemon Posts: 927
Hi girls, My HR Dept has informed me that I am not entited to 3 bank holidays which occur during my 16 weeks additional unpaid leave. I was checking out the citizens information website and it says that I am entitled to leave for any public holidays that occur during my maternity leave (including additional maternity leave). I'm confused now - are HR trying to do me out of days?? Any help appreciated :wv
McMummy Posts: 1041
I think they are, you are entitled to get your bank holidays added on to your Mat leave. Similarly to if you took 2 weeks (10 days) annual leave and a BH happened to fall on one of those days you would only be taking 9 days AL not 10. Hope that makes sense
Thanks wedwolly - yep did a bit of research and you are entitled to both public holidays and annual leave if you decide to take up to 16 weeks additional unpaid leave. I have posted further information in the Oct'08 mums section. :wv
whackywoman Posts: 1496
They are definitely trying to do you out of days You should get these as extra holidays when you go back to work or maybe get paid for them but you are definitely entitled to them
porshe Posts: 1359
Stupid question but I am wondering when you say "entitled" to bank holiday during maternity leave & unpaid leave, does that mean you are entitled to be paid or that you are entitled to add them on as holidays to your leave? iykwim?
Hi porshe, As far as I know, you are entitled to a full day's paid leave for each bank/public holiday. Whilst on additional leave, you will receive the extra day's leave, but not the pay. Confusing I know! :wv
[quote:23efd9uu]As far as I know, you are entitled to a full day's paid leave for each bank/public holiday. Whilst on additional leave, you will receive the extra day's leave, but not the pay. Confusing I know! [/quote:23efd9uu] Ok. I think that makes sense, you get paid for the b/h on maternity leave, so for me I would get an extra 7 days paid leave, but I cannot take an extra 7 days holidays instead?
Hi porshe, If the 7 days bank holidays fall within your paid maternity leave - you will get both the 7 days extra leave + the pay. That make sense? :wv
Oh wow that is cool :o)ll Thank you! Between that, unpaid leave and hols, I nearly have a year off, although I will be broke, I am so happy, all I need is babs now :thnk
Yep - I've almost a year off too... Finishing up on October 10th and don't come back until the first week in Oct 2009 :o)ll