Public in Mid-West Maternity Hospital-Limerick

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

motherhubbard Posts: 3037
Just wondering if anybody knows anything about how public works in the MW Maternity in Limerick.. kind of new to all of this :-8 :-8
summer daisy Posts: 1336
hi toni i am in limerick too.... i think i will probably go public too.. PM me if you want any information as this is my second time... We could even be in there at the same time!!! Hugs SD
charli Posts: 5994
hiya, i went private on my first baby but decided to go public this time as i had no probs last time and its not like private means a private hospital anyway to be honest my experience has been much the same on my private schedule the last time i saw consultant at 14 - 26 - 32 - 36 - 38 weeks and public this time i have been to the hospital at 14 - 26 - and am due there again at 31 and 33 weeks so it seems to be the same pattern you see your own GP inbetween and obviously if you have any problems you will be seen more often the only thing is at the Maternity hospital you are seen by a different doc each time (well there are about 3 on during the clinic time so you might get the same one but they dont know you) i think its fine and it saves 3000e!! i wasnt too overjoyed about the hospital stay the last time but even been private then meant nothing, midiwives were really fab but they are very busy and overcrowded and doesnt matter a jot whether your public or private you'll get the same care! if you have any specific questions just ask!! re scans and public - if all is well you will just have a dating scan at 12 - 14 weeks and another at 31 weeks
Thanks girls.. I think ye've managed to put my mind at ease already. I have been given the whole public and private arguement by my GP and nurse, highs and lows, and based on that and advise from our parents we decided to go public. Good thing too cos when we first found out we were pregnant our GP advised that to give ourselves some more time to think we could make a private appointment and then cancel later if were definate about going public... But the 3 we rang in Limerick were fully booked for the end of June :eek :eek :eek :eek We were only 4 weeks exactly so how anybody could have booked earlier then us was amazing :o0 :o0 But anyways even though we had said we'd go public I still didn't know what kind of care that meant we would get at the maternity going public. So basically, its my GP once a month, 4 hospital visits, 2 of which will be scans and all of which will be with different consultants, most likely.. This is all based on me and our little bean being healthy, no complications.. please God. One more question (sorry :-8 :-8 ) my Health Insurance covers me for a semi-private, private room, I'm not too bothered if I get either but do I just tell the hospital this when I go in so that if something is available I might be on th list atleast? Or because I'm not going private this is not available to me?
charli Posts: 5994
hi Toni, i too have private insurance so still am entitled to private/semi-private room if available even though im going public - when you are admitted they ask you that. now last time around i got a bed in private ward day after my baby was born so really its the luck of the draw. for that first night i was in public ward with 4 others but it was fine, just its harder to sleep with other mums up and about feeding their babies but what can you do! you have it summed up about right about the combined care also just to note waiting time in the ante natal clinic is really not that bad - about an hour and a half, though the first appointment was a bit longer as it was booking in appointment, your medical history etc
Thanks a million Charli.. Really helpful. Role on my scan now!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll