Public of Private for First Baby - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

NotHere Posts: 10273
Thanks Trouble :thnk I alsp have another little problem-I was always on my parents VHI and never got changed over to Hubbies. So he is ringing them tomorrow to ask to change to the Family Plus plan and to put me on his plan. Hopefully they will still cover the pregnancy costs, I mean it's his baby as well as mine and he's been with them, for about 10 - 12years or so. Once I find that out I'll talk to the consultants.
EVIE78 Posts: 687
My friend is going public but paid privately to get her scan before the 20 weeks.
mummy bear Posts: 3824
let us know how you get on with vhi?
[quote="EVIE78":8umldfqy]My friend is going public but paid privately to get her scan before the 20 weeks.[/quote:8umldfqy] Thanks Evie, Grumpy said that too. I'll enquire about the price of that too and make a decision on what suits us best :thnk
[quote="Doubletrouble":bnpvk58m]let us know how you get on with vhi?[/quote:bnpvk58m] Will do :thnk
round two Posts: 1018
Hi Flutterby, I am afraid you are going to come up against problems with the change on VHI. You have to be on Family Plan Plus one year before you give birth or the will not give you any of the features. You need to see what plan you are on with your parents and access what you can do. There is no such thing as going on to a plan with your husband you will be classed as two individuals. It is only when there are kids that you get a plan for the family. Even with family plan plus you will have private fees of at least €2k. I am now on family plan plus 1 year since last week and I am now able to claim on it but still have the private fees. Hope this helps, sorry it is not more promising.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I'm going semi-private because im covered with my VHI.Is there any real difference?you wont be treated badly with either option,going private IMO would seem lonely and if you run into difficulties you are taken to a different hospital I gather anyway so whats the real point...each to their own
[quote="Hope07":29ky4471]Hi Flutterby, I am afraid you are going to come up against problems with the change on VHI. You have to be on Family Plan Plus one year before you give birth or the will not give you any of the features. You need to see what plan you are on with your parents and access what you can do. There is no such thing as going on to a plan with your husband you will be classed as two individuals. It is only when there are kids that you get a plan for the family. Even with family plan plus you will have private fees of at least €2k. I am now on family plan plus 1 year since last week and I am now able to claim on it but still have the private fees. Hope this helps, sorry it is not more promising.[/quote:29ky4471] Jeez, well it looks like the going public with a private scan could be be way forward. We'll see what tomorrow brings anyway. Thanks for the warning hun :thnk
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
I am opting for private. I think first time around everything is so new and well I was lucky to get teh gyne I want. I have friends who went public and private and well from talking to them private is what I want. My gyne is costing 2800. You can claim it back on your med 1 form, think it's 41% you get back. i am with bupa and they will pay for my stay in the hospital
round two Posts: 1018
Sorry it couldn't be more positive. You should find out what plan you are on from your mum and look it up. Just tell her that the hubbys is up for renewal and you are looking at a couples package (does not exist, but this is what I said) It will give you a better idea of what you can get through them. the hubby will need to know which plan you are on before he rings the VHI anyways.