Public of Private for First Baby - Page 3

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Peaseblossom Posts: 6642
wrote this in your going to gp post but will also copy to here I would recommend private or semi private because at least you have your own room for much needed rest and security of possessions and also if you are ill you dont have people staring at you and the rooms are nicer then the wards. From a medical standpoint you have better access to your consultant i think if you go private you are always seen by the consultant at every visit.
Perci Posts: 3847
[quote:34q8gm2s]There is no such thing as going on to a plan with your husband you will be classed as two individuals[/quote:34q8gm2s] Just wanted to clarify this Hope as I had a panic attack when I first read it! I'm named on my husbands VHI plan. We're paying double the premium (as you would for 2 separate premiums) because of it. We don't have separate insurance cover but I suppose we'll be treated as 2 separate individuals in the event of a claim. So, Flutterby you won't be automatically covered under your husband by default.
gbirishgirl Posts: 246
Good luck with sorting it out - sounds like either way you'll be able to claim some of the costs of private care back (which you can't do here in the UK as far as I know O:| )
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
hopefully when im preg i will defo go private dont want to waste paying bupa
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
another pro for going private. As soon as your baby is born they are private too. So if they need any special attention they will be private.
NotHere Posts: 10273
Thanks for the input girls :thnk Had a brainwave last night :o)ll I'm in the hospital saturday fund and that pays a good bit towards maternity costs! :o)ll :o)ll So I think it could be private after all! (I'm very changeable as you can see!) :o0
summer daisy Posts: 1336
quick one from my experience. I went public, got brilliant care, treated fantastically by all the midwives and staff and received better attention then some of my friends who were private. Also, I got a private room (although I think this was pure chance! :o)ll :o)ll ) SD
little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
a friend of mine was brought in to be induced. Her labour started straight away and she called the midwife who told her there were no beds on the labour ward. Her gyne (she was private) came in saw she was in labour came back 5mins later and told her they were moving her up to the labour ward that he got her a bed.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Well... I don't have VHI or anything, so going public in the Rotunda. Scan wise I don't think it matters if you're private or public it seems to depend more on the hospital. My first scan will be at 12.4 weeks. Anyhow, I'll get a taste of this being public on Friday when I go for my scan so will let ye know.
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
[quote="Tigletts":213ng9sf]Well... I don't have VHI or anything, so going public in the Rotunda. Scan wise I don't think it matters if you're private or public it seems to depend more on the hospital. My first scan will be at 12.4 weeks. Anyhow, I'll get a taste of this being public on Friday when I go for my scan so will let ye know.[/quote:213ng9sf] Tigs you will get great care in there they are great, same care whether you are public, private or semi. :xxx :wv