Public of Private for First Baby - Page 4

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tigletts Posts: 2904
Thanks Baby cakes. Fingers crossed. To be honest I don't care a bit about being in a private room or not, it's only for a day or two, what matters most is the medical care during pregnancy and labour. :wv
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
exactly, thats the way I feel too, while semi in the rotunda was fab, i was only in the room for a couple of hrs as I wanted to go home and get back to normal I was home within 12 hrs :wv
anastasia beaverhausen Posts: 175
Obviously it's a matter of personal choice girls, but being a first timer, I didn't really have anything to go on when making my decision, cept for a friend who went private 18 months ago. You can only base your decision on what you know. My first scan is with my OB/GYN tomorrow and I have the say the peace of mind is great, especially when I'm so clueless :-8
EVIE78 Posts: 687
I have gone both public and private and I got the same with both, to me there no difference. They look after u and babs the very same way. [b:1tybh6hy]IF I [/b:1tybh6hy]was to again I would very strongly about not going private. To me the main difference was 3000 eur price tag for consultant which VHI dont cover they only cover your stay in hospital.
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
[quote="Anastasia Beaverhausen":1dc3f2y0]Obviously it's a matter of personal choice girls, but being a first timer, I didn't really have anything to go on when making my decision, cept for a friend who went private 18 months ago. You can only base your decision on what you know. My first scan is with my OB/GYN tomorrow and I have the say the peace of mind is great, especially when I'm so clueless :-8[/quote:1dc3f2y0] anatasia, u do what you feel is right, thats the only way to go especially on your first. :wv Evie i see exactly where you are coming from with the money aspect too I saw no difference with private and semi saw same consultant every visit, was in and out in an hr sometimes less, got first scan at 9 weeks, second at 14 growthing scan at 30 odd, had a lovley room with 3 other ladies although left within 12 hrs, consultant just happened to be on the nite i was in there so he was there for the birth even though midwife did all the hard work (well and me of course :o0 ) But girls I cn se where all ye first timers are coming from though and dont let anyone else make your decision for you if you can afford the fee's fair play :wv Best of luck
madmam Posts: 1294
Flutterby, Why dont you go semi private? I changed to Family Plan Plus when I found out I was pg but they wont cover you for that until youve been on that policy for a year, so I am covered under the original policy - B Option.
bibikay Posts: 644
[quote:3gzzp770]I have gone both public and private and I got the same with both, to me there was no difference.[/quote:3gzzp770] I too have gone public and private on different pregnancies, and can tell you that I was damn glad to be private on DS last year - while other women who have pretty non-eventful pregnancies may say that the consultant fees are a "waste of money", if there are any issues/complications I would not be without the consultant. And, the trouble is that quite often you do not know that the pregnancy is going to be troublesome until you are well into it, maybe 20weeks+, by which time it is far to late to go looking for a consultant. Last year we paid 2,400 for our consultant and PG if I'm preg again we will do the same again. I have spoken with a number of women on this issue, some went public, some private, some both... and the consensus among the people I spoke with was that for straightforward preg, public is the way to go. But, once there were problems, it pays to be in the private system. (And, no, it's not for the private room.. personally, I couldn't give a hoot about the private room) But,for anyone who is going private, just remember, you can claim a good bit of the consultant's fees back in tax... we reckon to get at least 1K of that back via the MED1 form. [/code]
bibikay Posts: 644
I forgot to say Flutterby, you are probably best to talk to people in your area who have attended Mayo General... we are all basing our experiences on whatever hospital/system we were in, but the hospitals can vary greatly. I was in UCHG. My SIL was in Mayo - she went public on first, and is going private on this one. Good luck with your choice.
NotHere Posts: 10273
Thanks girls, and Shorty, what do you get for Semi Private?
madmam Posts: 1294
Hey flutterby, Im not too sure! But I do know that you get all your pre natal appointments like Public, but when you are admitted to have the baby, you get a bed in a small ward (2 or 4 beds?)