Public or Private in cork????

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby4me Posts: 455
hi girls I know there is a thread already on public v private but it all about dublin hospitals does anyone have any thoughts on public v private in cork. I know anyone due after mar next year will be attending CUH but what is procedure now?? Also recommendations on private doctors would be appreciated thanks
SoExcited Posts: 204
Hi there, I am going private in Cork, and I really wanted a woman so I've gone with Susan O'Sullivan - she's taking over from one of the older doctors who is retiring I think, have heard lovely things about her, have my first scan in Sept. Her number is 021 4941392. Hope this helps, SoExcited.
thanks so excited!! im only ttc at the minute but would really like to have a lady as well as i wud be bit shy!! can i ask how much its costing you to go private i have bupa but not sure still how much. is it possible to go semi private?? will u be having ur baby in cuh??
Not sure the full cost yet, but I heard it will be 2 to 3 grand. I'm with VHI which covers a certain amount if you go private. Will have to get all the details when I go for my next doctors visit in a couple of weeks, or when I see Dr. O'Sullivan herself. She'll probably be able to give me the exact details. Best of luck trying ttc. Fingers crossed for you.
Yes! Will be having the baby in the new maternity hospital. Any babies due after Feb/March 07 will be delivered in there. Check out the following link - it gives you info about Public, Private, and Semi Private.
thanks so much so excited. Best of luck with the rst of your pregnancy!!
bump!! any more info girlies surely there is more of ye in cork having babs!! :lol:
woonoo Posts: 78
Hiya, I am going private with O'Reilly in Finbar's, although am due in March so might make CUH but won't hold my breath! I wanted Dr Green but he is not taking any new patients. O'Reilly can't see me for ages but he was my friend's gyne and she had a terrible pg and tough birth and she said he was absolutely brilliant, so that's why I chose him. Midwives were demanding a C section for her that she didn't want and he swooped in and got that little one out, no problem and saved her from the scalpel. Personally, I couldn't justify the cost of the Bons and anyway, prefer to be soemwhere with a neo-natal unit for fear of being separated from the little one if anything isn't quite right. I chose Finbar's over the Erinville for the simple reason that I have never been to the Erinville and all my friends went to Finbar's and were pleased with it. I went private as it is my first baby and want a bit of 'hand holding' I guess. Also, I have been told that you are more likely to be induced and have a C-section as a public patient and get more say in what you want as a private one. Also, friends have reported long delays waiting for gyne apts in overcrowded waiting rooms and having to give medical details to a nurse in front of everyone as there is no room for separate office in one place. The public care is excellent, everyone says that, but I prefer to see the same gyne each visit and know that he will be there if I get in trouble. I also want my own bathroom cos after giving birth, I will live in shower as am clean freak! It's a very personal choice. If I had to go public, I would, no problem as the care is great; my pal with 3 kids can testify to that. My Dh wants me to go private though and both sets of parents are agast that it's not the Bons but I am happy with my decision. I am happy to pay 2k for this one, but would probably go public with number two though.
thanks for that woonoo!! so am i right in thinking that you are going private in a public hospital or is it just your doc thatis private?? if you were to go to the bons i assume it would be more expensive!! do you have healthcare to cover some of this?? is 2k a definate bill or will it depend if you have epidural etc that will bump up the bill.
corkrebel Posts: 744
I dont know if this would be of much help... but when we found out I was expecting in April ,we decided to go private with Dr O Reilly.... unfortunately, we lost our little one in May ...Dr O Reilly did the D&C in St Finbarrs and the care there was fabulous ...nurses were so helpful and understanding and Dr O Reilly spoke with both of us regarding the procedure etc... I have no qualms about going back to Dr O Reilly or St Finbarr's..I would opt for private care for more or less the same reasons as WOONOO...although you are not guaranteed a private room on your stay ...it will depend on how many rooms they have available... I heard a lot of negative thigns about the bons although my friend had her baby girl ther e 3 weeks ago ( 6 weeks early) and they have been fabulous with her.... HTH! O:o)