Public or Private???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

baby-bel Posts: 929
Well Girls, Im not Pg yet but hope to be soon and just looking for your advice on whether to go Public or private w.r.t. gynae. my doc said private is approx €2600
mariac Posts: 982
i was public the last time and public this time - i am happy enough. i feel you receive the same care - thats just my opinion
pricilla Posts: 1564
Are you looking for us to advise you on which to pick, or are you asking which one we went for? Just want to know before I vote because I wouldn't like to advise anyone (everyone's needs are so different, and there are pro's and cons to both systems)
Double post!
Stupid computer! Sorry
shobie Posts: 1437
I am expecting my first baby and am public. We did consider private but when I spoke to other mums using the same hospital they said that you receive great care when public. So we didn't see the need to pay for private care.
Bubba Bump Posts: 348
You don't have an option there for semi-private, which is what I'm going for. I was advised by a midwife to go semi-private. I will see the same consultant at all of my visits, s/he has a scanner in his office. The only difference is if s/he is not on duty the day I have my baby s/he will not deliver my baby also I will not have a private room, which if there are none available I wouldn't have gotten one even if I was private.
Wannabamama Posts: 481
Im a private patient and from what I can see the main difference when you go private is you see your consultant/obstetrician at every visit. You are also scanned at every visit, for me this was very important as I worried about baby from day one. My appointment are always on time and there are never more than 2-3 people in the waiting room at any one time. Im going private in a private hospital so i dont know what the difference is if you decide to go private in a public hospital. Im pretty sure i will go public on my next baby, basically the costs are too high to justify, but as its my first and we were both nervous as hell, we decided it would be best to go private on this occassion and from a convenience point of view the consultant and hospital are very close to where we live and work.
chocaddict Posts: 344
I'm going public. I was actually advised by my health insurance company to do so, as the public care in Cork's CUMH is supposed to be excellent, and I must say so far so good for me. I've been scanned at every visit (I've had 3 scans so far) and when I mentioned I'd a problem wth my back at one of my appointments they whisked me into physio there and then. Having said that, other hospitals may differ. If you're trying to make up your mind perhaps ask women who've experienced the particular hospital you intend going to.
susmurf Posts: 1060
I'm going public in CUMH as well - mostly because when I went to my doctor, I was advised that the consultants books were temporarily closed. It's my first so I have nothing to compare it to - but I have to say the quality of care I've received so far has been excellent, and to be honest, the cost ot private would have been a pinch, so Im glad we didn't.