Public rotunda

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

rats tails Posts: 548
I went private in the rotunda on my dd and was v happy with the care I got. It wasn't an easy pregnancy. I'd v bad morning sickness and ended up being admitted and put on a drip on 2 occasions. I was also admitted because I'd a horrific rash that had to be treated with steroid injections. I'd bleeding throughout the pregnancy too. Anyway due to our current financial circumstances I can go private or even semi this time. I'm looking for reassurance that the public system worked ok for some of you. How does it work? Do I see a consultant or trainee doctors? I'm not at all bothered about sharing a room with loads of people. Friends have me freaked about horror stories of stitches being done wrong etc.
Plus1makes4 Posts: 721
I went public in DS, the only thing that was frustrating was the wait at appointments!! Having said that I'm going semi P this time and my first app was over 2 hours long!! Hoping it was just coz it was Xmas week and they were super busy!! My actual labour and c-section were dealt with amazingly I don't think the care at that stage differs. Had major complications after and the care was top notch, nurses were amazing! I mainly saw midwives but when it was time for doc apps I'm not sure but I think it was a doc and not consultant, never saw a trainee! One did observe a doc performing a scan. The public ward varies from what I hear, my ward was ok, had a 15-16 year old beside me who was nice but texted all night. My friend had lovely girls all very respectful of everyone around them. I have heard horror stories too, someone waking up to a junkie going through her beside locker but I doubt that they are very common!! All in all my public experience was good only going semi p this time coz of my complications last time which could have been fatal so I'm not taking any chances! Best of luck and congrats on the pregnancy :)
Thanks a million for that. I'm not bothered about sharing. I spent 4 years of living in a dorm while in college when in the USA and shared a room with 4 noisy sisters all my life so that wouldn't phase me. I'm reassured to hear you say the care around c section was good. That's the bit that scares me. My cousin had a complicated birth that led to her baby having cerebral palsy a year ago. She was public and attributes the care she got during labour/delivery to what happened. I know it can happen no matter what but it has me freaked! You've reassured me and my crazy hormones. Thanks
wollysocks Posts: 1773
[quote="Plus1makes4":14soixx7] I have heard horror stories too, someone waking up to a junkie going through her beside locker but I doubt that they are very common!! All in all my public experience was good only going semi p this time coz of my complications last time which could have been fatal so I'm not taking any chances! [/quote:14soixx7] I agree with all this poster has said except what I quoted above. Of course people are free to choose private or semi-private if it makes them feel better but it is completely wrong to suggest you are taking some chance by going public. There is no difference in the quality of care you will receive- if there is any problems you will be as well looked after under public system as the private system. I think those stories like the one above are little more than urban myths. I found the security in the Rotunda on the wards to be very tight- only 2 people can visit at a time( apart from your partner) and visiting times only. I went public and semi-private- and in my experience,waiting times were longer and appointments quicker and less personal in the semi-private clinic. Waiting rooms in semi-private were nicer, though often packed to capacity with people standing at times. Under semi-private, due to previous history, I did have the option of c-elective section which perhaps is something some people want- I didn't. The night I had my baby there were no beds in a semi-private room so I went to a public ward. I was offered a semi-private room the following day but I opted to stay where I was- the ward was fine and the women in there lovely- exactly as had been my previous experience on a public ward. Nothing bad to say about it at all. So from my experience I would have no hesitation at all in recommending the public system.
[/quote] There is no difference in the quality of care you will receive- if there is any problems you will be as well looked after under public system as the private system.[/quote] It's good to hear you say that. Because I'd a consultant that looked after me when private I was worried that there would be no consultant looking after me this time. But as you said if there's a problem you'll be taken care of
Plus1makes4 Posts: 721
I agree think that story maybe urban legend! But unfortunately some partners I saw at apps were clearly high on something! Security is great, DH was 10 mins early once and wasn't allowed up to me. I'm not suggesting you be taking chances going public but for me I had a rare complication which carried a 30% mortality rate for me, so I'm going consultant led this time, they have scheduled me in so I'm going to same clinic time and will see Dr Flood each time, I don't think I would have gotten this in public and explaining my long winded story each time would have brought too many inconsistencies with it.
23Daisy Posts: 416
I went public in the coombe on both my pregnancies I could have gone private but chose not to. I chose the midwife led clinic route the first time but I'd had lletz treatment so was sent to a consultant. I received excellent treatment, I was sent for the necessary checks and had loads of scans and when the consultant was happy I was referred back to the midwives clinic. On my second I did the domino scheme and it was great. There is very little waiting at these clinics and you get lots of time with the midwives. The labour ward was brand new & was fab, huge & private. On both pregnancies I ended up in semi private rooms on my second there were only 3 of us in the room. You will receive the necessary care going public it's grand, the amount of attention you receive will depend on how straightforward your pregnancy is. The more problems you have the more your looked after so don't worry. Best of luck with the pregnancy.