Public Sector Pay - talks collapse

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

JuliaItaly Posts: 922
Well, what do you reckon will happen now? Will Cowen just push in a pay cut? Hard to see how they would ever have come to an agreement.
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
I doubt there'll be public sector pay cuts, just some tinkering with pensions. Seems the recession is pretty much limited to the private sector.
I think Cowen will push in a 10% pay cut across the board. I was watching Questions and Answers last night and Willie O'Dea said that the public sector will have to feel the pain too, it sounded like the government have a back up plan that the public sector won't like.
anoncb Posts: 379
Why are people a 10% pay cut across the board is a ridiculous suggestion, completely inequitable. And by the way, I don't know of 1 person in the private sector who has had to take a pay cut
Mark1984 Posts: 36
Its not that public service employees are emune to the recession or depression as it is fast becoming. Its that they are seen as over paid. Which is something that I very much doubt to be true. Personally I see them as yet another soft target, anyone who has a job will be penalised. They can't touch the elderly as we saw in the last budget and quite right too !, they can't touch those on benifits or they would face a revolution so its the low - middle income workers who get cained. What worries me is this, if someone reduces my income by 10% I am going to feel really pi$$ed off. My actual work rate will also drop but not by 10% but rather more like 50%. Did the ordinary workers in this country become millionaires during the so called Celtic Tiger ?? Sorry about the rant but both myself and my fiance are Public service workers, and we cannot afford to take a pay cut....
gone elsewhere Posts: 1780
[quote="anoncb":2dkt3xkp]Why are people a 10% pay cut across the board is a ridiculous suggestion, completely inequitable. And by the way, I don't know of 1 person in the private sector who has had to take a pay cut[/quote:2dkt3xkp] Funny, that. My OH took a 7% cut, my best friend took a 10% cut, my SIL lost her job, my BIL is on notice and I'm expecting a pay cut myself any day now. They work in industries ranging from media to legal to engineering to medical. Oh, and none of them were creaming it in the Celtic Tiger days. One of them dropped 10% on a 30k salary. This government hasn't got the guts to do what needs to be done. As was pointed out, the reason the partnership exists is because back in the 1980s public sector workers were called to a meeting to be told there was no money to pay them ANY salary the following month. So would public sector workers take a pay cut of some sort, or plough on in the blind belief that the government - which is borrowing 50 million A DAY - will just find their salaries from somewhere? I don't think the average worker has any idea just how bad things are going to get.
[quote="anoncb":7a9fpaai]Why are people a 10% pay cut across the board is a ridiculous suggestion, completely inequitable. And by the way, I don't know of 1 person in the private sector who has had to take a pay cut[/quote:7a9fpaai] I disagree with you about the private sector, I'm in a position to know how this recession has hit the private sector and believe me, I've seen people not only take a pay cut but lose their job. We are also different to the public sector in that all our jobs are on the line, that's not a nice position to be in. We also don't have pensions that are comparable to the public sector. I agree that the 10% pay cut across the board isn't right, I think a cost benefit analysis of the public sector needs to be done and the costs then cut according to the outcome of that analysis.
so excited! Posts: 330
i work in the public sector. In a way i'm looking at it, if i have to take a pay cut of say 10% so be it. Its surely better than losing your job altogether...
zoesmama Posts: 2774
what i actually think will happen and i maybe wrong but here's my 2pence worth anyway i think that what the Govt tried to agree with the Unions last night will happen today but by pulling out of the talks the Unions get to say that they didn't agree to it and the Govt is the bad guy whereas if the Unions had agreed to it then in the eyes of the Public Service they would be the bad guys too. just a thought. i think it will not be a pay cut as that would also impact on all the retired Public Servants who would also take an equivalent cut in their pensions and i don't think the Govt want to go up against the Pensioners again. i think it will be the Pensions levy. i was in the Private Sector and lost my job. my DH is a Public Servant whose Dept is understaffed and he already works overtime for no extra pay. our income has been severely decreased already but another decrease will be v bad for us but i feel it's inevitable.
Cathy34 Posts: 1068
I heard this morning that the range will be between 3.75 to 9.9% Does that mean you have to pay into your pension yourself now? It doesn't seem that much - up to 60k it's only 7.5% or something. when I was still working in my old company I used to get 3% percent pay rises annually and that was nothing really :o(