Public sector workers??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

trance Posts: 3129
Well, what do you all think about Mr Cowens new 'initiative'?? I'm not a public sector worker and never have been but I think it's an absolute disgrace that public sector workers have been targeted like this, so what if they get a great pension, I think teachers, nurses, guards all deserve a good pension quite frankly after years of caring for us, teaching us, policing us (although some of the guarda leave a lot to be desired), I've just been reading a post in OF about affording weddings and some of the girls on there are p.s. workers and they're just like the rest of us, struggling with mortage, loans, bills etc, okay their jobs are more secure than the private sector but you know, thems the breaks, wouldn't we all love to be in a secure job at the moment? Be interested to know what others think.
dita Posts: 960
I am a public sector worker ..I never really was sure why people thought we got such great pensions Yes they are good for those who work for 40 years in the service but for people like me who are only working a few years I would have to work til I am 75 to get anyways of a half decent pension... I am only on average wages 25,000 and thats after 4 years....I work very hard in my job ..I have to stay late most evenings ..I don't get overtime but yes I do get the time backed that I have worked extra....I have worked for many years in the pivate sector and this was also the case either overtime or you got the time back... To put this reduction into real terms I now have to make up two extra months mortgage..Just because we are now paying more into our pensions does not mean we will get bigger pensions.... I am sad the way the public sector has been portrayed as this big bad environment where we all sit around on our flexitime and all go on sick leave From what I've seen most of the corruption in the sector stems from higher and some middle management..with.big expenses..and a I don't care attitiude...Consultants in all public sectors generally are on too high of wages for what they do..they should be looking at that I do believe we all have to contribute... but sometimes you will find that the people who whinge most about the public sector are people who are not taking pay cuts and who are in good jobs...They talk about friends . or family leaving jobs..but I'm sure they still wouldn't offer a percentage of their wages I can tell you I won't be giving one single vote to Fianna Fail this year...They made this mistake .........
babe06 Posts: 898
Posted this on another post but thought the points you were making mad a lot of sense.... I am a non-permanent teacher and although I realise its very hard to give us sympathy when others are losing jobs and taking paycuts all over the place, i think the main objection we have (or why we feel angry about this) is that we feel that the people who are earning well still will not be effected by this. Also we're still expected to not only do the same work but also more now because of the cutbacks on things like supervision. Yes personally it will effect me - especially since I'm not permanent and don't know if I have a job next year - and every school is similar as permanent jobs have been very hard to come by in the past few years. - and as I started teaching late I will never get to see my full pension and therfore this is in no way savings for me. But more so because during this supposedly affluent celtic tiger I got no benefit, where as friends and family got great bonuses, salary increased of between 5 - 10 k a year and the oppertunity to make even further increases by simply moving jobs!! But despite my own concerns - it more the fact that the lower paid employees are being hit again. The figures last night spoke volumes - someone on 20k will lose 2000, therefore bringing them down to 18k - a huge hit for anyone at that level, wherease some on 300k will go down around 30,000 reducing their salary to 270k - still a huge salary in my books! I just think its so unfair. I do understand that everyone should make some contirbution and the future we feel is frightening, but speaking to colleagues its frightening how much money they will lose and how they will suffer as a result of this, especially family on one or two incomes from the public sector.
moobear Posts: 1126
I know that it is awful but Eddie Hobbs did say this months back (think on Prime Time) that the public sector had "Jobs for Life" & should pay a levy for this. The levy is on a scale so the lower earners & not effected the same as the top earners. Have a look at this link http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0203/economy.html Also just to add, I would prefer to have a job at a salary cut of 10% than face redundancy as I am on Friday!! The social is only €200 per week & the bills still have to be paid!
aston Posts: 4100
I cannot understand why the public sector workers are upset over this, I really cant! I work in the private sector and if I was to get the same pension as say someone the same as me working in the public sector I would have had to put 50% of my wages into a pension from the first day of working until I am 65! Your pensions are helped along by the private sector and government. Ye are only paying now what ye should have been paying all along! I dont have anyone to help me to pay my pension. Ye will get about 3/4 of your pay on average every week for your pension along with the old age pension of €230 a week (correct me if I am wrong but a friends mother gets this a week). So ye will in fact be rolling in it!! Whereas I will have to survive on €230 a week as cannot afford my own pension. I really cannot understand why the uproar. Ye are finally only paying what ye should have been paying all along. Seriously ye have to see the logic?????
frillynickers Posts: 1765
I think regardless what sector you work in public or private nobody wants to take a cut in wages etc or have to pay for the governments mistakes. The other things is the notion of people on 20k salary will loose over 2.5k briniging them down to 18k ths is not correct. They will have to pay 3 or 3.5% which is 600-700 off their annual salary or 800 inclinding the 1% levy we all have to pay. So theis will mean a reduction in their monthly salary before tax and credits to be: 1666.00 down to 1600.00 a reduction of 65 euro per month Now if a 10% redcution in salary was introduced plus the 1% levy = 11% redcution their monthly pay would be 1483. Now I know public sector workers are going to say that they should be affected at all by the slow down in the ecoomy and that they are entitled to their wage increases but the fact of the matter is. Irish public sector workers in thier different classes are higherpaid than any of our european conterparts and also on administrative level are higher paid then private sector workers in similar jobs and levels. Also the national wage agreement takes into consideration the cost of living etc which has gone down. Now is it just me or does it not make business sense but when the cost of living goes down incremental increses should not apply. Private companies are in the business pf making money/profit hence why some areas are paid higher salarys as they make money for their company and their salary is rightly performance linked. Public sector workers or at least the vast majority of public sector workers pay is not performance linked yet a % have guaranteed bonuses. Teachers are not on performance pay which I have to say I think is ridiculas. NO offence but in the school I went to we hat a SHITE chemistry teacher and only one girl passed her leaving cert in the class and he's still teaching chemistry even though he is a shite teacher and gets his pay rises etc, common I ask you where is the logic in that. My sister was in her class, failed like the rest of them, went to college to study applied science and aced her first year chemistry exams when thought by a proper teacher. At the end of the day we all have to feel the pain. Im employed by a bank which has lost money etc which is not my fault but I still have to take a drop in wages. Public sector workers are employed by the government who "makes money" of taxes which have dropped because people have lost their jobs, nobody is buying or selling houses and as such you have to take a drop in salary as their "profit is reduced" they cant spend money they dont have simple as. Well theres my 2cents.
sharmon Posts: 437
I'm not a public sector employee but I do feel they have been somewhat unfairly targeted. The majority of PS employees are not on great money esp when you look at the type of work they do, and for some there is considerable danger involved in their jobs eg guards & DFB. As for the pension levy I know most PS employees are already paying into a pension, so this levy is simply a way of disguising a pay cut. I really feel that savings need to be made but not singularly by the PS employees. The savings should have been spread so that all are affected not just PS.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
[quote="sharmon":1b7kuloe]I'm not a public sector employee but I do feel they have been somewhat unfairly targeted. The majority of PS employees are not on great money esp when you look at the type of work they do, and for some there is considerable danger involved in their jobs eg guards & DFB. As for the pension levy I know most PS employees are already paying into a pension, so this levy is simply a way of disguising a pay cut. I really feel that savings need to be made but not singularly by the PS employees. The savings should have been spread so that all are affected not just PS.[/quote:1b7kuloe] The problem is that the State can't afford the payroll bill. In the private sector if a company can't afford the payroll bill then they either reduce hours or let staff go. Neither of which is happening in the public sector. Public sector workers have State guaranteed pensions whereas private sector workers do not. I appreciate that you are not a public sector worker so my comments are not aimed at you personally but I do think people need to face up to the fact that even though the public sector workers are facing a pension levy they are still much better off than their counterparts in the private sector, particularly when it comes to pensions. Public sector workers still have their jobs - even if they are going to get paid less. The same cannot be said for people in the private sector!
minnielulu Posts: 358
Both myself and DH are PS employees and our pensions differs hugely so it's not fair to say that all PS employees are guaranteed a good state pension. DH has been paying into a private pension for the past 3 years. He started out as a PS employee when he was 18/19 so will have full service by retirement age and will therefore be entitled to a "full" pension which is absolute pittance. I know some of you will prob find that hard to believe but it's true which is why he has had no choice but to take out a private pension also. So he will now be paying into a public pension and a private pension and pay a government levy on the public one. We all chose the jobs we do, I chose a PS job because of the job security and the flexi time. They are the only bonuses we get. Flexi time by the way costs by employer NOTHING, it is time back for extra time worked, i.e. if i want to take a flexi day (we are entitled to 1.5 days in a 4 week period) I have to work an extra 6.45 hours to take that day, so you work an extra day to take an extra day. While other private sector employees were enjoying Christmas bonuses, hampers, bonus bonds, bonuses for reaching targets etc we've been enjoying our "bonus" of flexi time and job security but you didn't hear us complain, we knew what we were getting ourselves into when we took the job just as private sector employees knew what they were getting themselves into when they took/chose their jobs. The general consensus in my job was that we could have dealt with taking a pay freeze, no more increments or benchmarking but what they've done now is basically take back all our benchmarking / sustaining progress money that we have earned over the past 3/4 years by taking on extra work and longer hours and they now expect us to do that for no extra money. I'm prob going to get a lashing now after this but I just feel like people have this idea that we have rosy jobs in the PS and it couldn't be further from the truth, we are so understaffed at the moment that people are doing 3 or 4 different jobs, there is no cover for materntiy leave which in my job which is predominantly female is a massive problem because it means the job has to be covered by existing staff for not just no extra money but now for less. Hardly fair if you ask me.
minnielulu Posts: 358
[quote="ohsotired":2cquyhej][quote="sharmon":2cquyhej]The problem is that the State can't afford the payroll bill. In the private sector if a company can't afford the payroll bill then they either reduce hours or let staff go. Neither of which is happening in the public sector. ![/quote:2cquyhej][/quote:2cquyhej] Just to add that in the area that I work the above is actually happening in the PS. Staff are leaving to go to the private sector, or to move to another PS area or some for retirement and their positions are no longer being filled. It's like I was saying for the maternity leave. So what's now happening is we have 1 staff member trying to do / expected to do the work that 3 or 4 people did previously and for no extra money. This in turn causes bad feeling which dosen't create a very happy working environment.