Public v's Semi Private

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CluelessGal Posts: 80
hi there girls, am new to all this and havent a clue where to start. How are you deciding if you are going public or semi private? I've got company plan plus with VHI (havent rung them yet to see what entitlements i have) so i think i should be covered if i decide to go semi. Just wondering what are you experiences or thoughts and how did you decide. Going to the Rotunda if that helps. Any advice would be welcome :wv
dromroe Posts: 83
Clueless on this one too but would love to know. I have company plan plus too.
Tess72 Posts: 1173
Semi private in the Rotunda costs €1200 at the moment. You pay this at your first appointment in the hospital and there are no other fees. I've got VHI company plan plus level 2 and I'll be getting 500 back from VHI as far as I remember. I think we get 20% back from the government too. Public is completely free I think. With Semi Private you get a dating scan the first time you go, a big development check scan around 20 weeks, and then with all the other hospital appointments there are 2 consultant rooms - one has a scan machine and the other doesn't. From my experience it's just luck which room you go into and if you go into the one with the scan machine then you get a scan at every appointment, otherwise they use a doppler to listen to the heartbeat. I'm doing combined care so go to my GP for alternate appointments. My GP just has a doppler which allows him to listen to the baby's heartbeat so no scan there. I'm very happy with them in Semi Private and went SP last time too and was perfectly happy. I was in a SP room which has 4 beds in it & a bathroom. A friend I met with yesterday went public there and she found them great too. I think they also do a midwives clinic where you see midwives instead of doctors and this can often mean faster appointments/less waiting. If they notice anything out of the ordinary you will be immediately referred to the doctors anyway. A lot of my friends have gone to the Rotunda, even some that live a lot closer to the Coombe have gone there. There are good and bad stories about all the maternity hospitals. I went to the Rotunda cos it was the closest to where I live. Hope this helps and congrats. Edited to say definitely ring VHI when you have a few minutes. They are extremely helpful and lovely to deal with and will tell you exactly what you are entitled to on your plan, you will feel completely comfortable asking them any questions.
thanks a mil for the infor Tess, gona give vhi a call now just to see what they say. My GP said i could do the combined care also which i suppose is quicker than going to the hopsital all the time. Think i'll go with that.
Crostini Posts: 1105
have the company plan too but decided to go public. not all hospitals do semi-private. just couldn't justify the money. the care i got going public was excellent and i will go public next time.
just rang vhi there, here's what they said: i'd have to pay pre and post natal consultants fees, in region of €800 - €1000 and that i can claim back €350 from VHI they cover me for 3 nights for normal birth or 5 nights for c-section she also said that if the paeditrician, anaesthetist and bloods dept were not part of the vhi scheme i would have to pay them for examining the baby, epidural and blood work. she said it's highly unlikely that this would happen and that she's never seen it but that i wouldnt know in advance as these things are not timed etc so you wouldnt know who would be on shift. Bit consufed now as the last thing you would want is to be hit with a bill after giving birth. has this every happend to anyone?
[quote="CluelessGal":1u1g0pbc]i'd have to pay pre and post natal consultants fees, in region of €800 - €1000 and that i can claim back €350 from VHI they cover me for 3 nights for normal birth or 5 nights for c-section she also said that if the paeditrician, anaesthetist and bloods dept were not part of the vhi scheme i would have to pay them for examining the baby, epidural and blood work. she said it's highly unlikely that this would happen and that she's never seen it but that i wouldnt know in advance as these things are not timed etc so you wouldnt know who would be on shift. Bit consufed now as the last thing you would want is to be hit with a bill after giving birth. has this every happend to anyone?[/quote:1u1g0pbc] Well SP in the Rotunda is €1200. If you get €350 back from VHI plus 20%/€240 back from the revenue it will cost you 1200-590=610. No one I know had to pay anything extra. I got extra "big" scans last time because they wanted to check something in the intestine of the baby but there was no extra charge. I've had the glucose tolerance test both times which involves blood tests & no charge for that. I had an epidural last time which was no extra charge. I don't know what she's talking about, all the normal checks will be covered including having a c-section and any anaesthetist involved there and if there's anything extra and God forbid anything wrong with the baby it should be covered too. One of my friends spent 5 mths in hospital with her baby in Holles St & Temple St and didn't have to pay a thing. Her VHI plan covered it all and she had the same plan as me which was VHI company plan plus. My DS had a hip xray afterwards cos a relation had a hip problem and we had lots of physio visits cos his leg was turned in a bit, no extra charges for those either. I accidently upgraded my plan to level 2 last year and was too lazy to downgrade it again so that's why I'm on level 2 now, only difference is I seem to be getting an extra €150 back than you.
yeh i'd never heard of this either, she really confused me and made me think again about goin SP. I mean you either covered or your not. have a couple more q's for you if you dont mind. 1. my gp stamped and signed my application to eastern health board maternit services letter last week and i completed it and posted it off. However, when i got married last year i never officially changed my surname but when signing the form i signed it as my married name. Will this cause issues if i havent changed it with the tax office etc? 2. how long after you send the application form do you get a response or appointment date? Should i get a letter from them within a couple of weeks with an appointment date in the future or will they only send out the letter say 2 weeks before the appointment is due? 3. when do you have to decide if your going s/p or public and who do you inform and when? My GP told me that i could do the combined care if i wanted and to let them know. Also told me to tell them when i decided to go s/p or public but do i have to inform the hospital of this now as maybe waiting lists are not as long for s/p or this could be me being totally naive. sorry for all the q's and thanks in advance :-)
[quote="Tess72":1jiugecs]1. my gp stamped and signed my application to eastern health board maternit services letter last week and i completed it and posted it off. However, when i got married last year i never officially changed my surname but when signing the form i signed it as my married name. Will this cause issues if i havent changed it with the tax office etc? 2. how long after you send the application form do you get a response or appointment date? Should i get a letter from them within a couple of weeks with an appointment date in the future or will they only send out the letter say 2 weeks before the appointment is due? 3. when do you have to decide if your going s/p or public and who do you inform and when? My GP told me that i could do the combined care if i wanted and to let them know. Also told me to tell them when i decided to go s/p or public but do i have to inform the hospital of this now as maybe waiting lists are not as long for s/p or this could be me being totally naive.[/quote:1jiugecs] 1 - Fraid I honestly don't know, you'll be using your pps no that will keep track of you. Just when you're claiming tax back use your official name and you'll prob be ok. You don't even have to send them a receipt - but keep it for 3 yrs in case you are audited apparently!! Yeah I think I claimed online so just used my pps no & name, receipt wasn't necessary so don't think it matters what you signed as. 2. It was months before I got an official response from the the HSE or whoever is responsible for that. I think I only got it a few weeks ago actually and I signed up for it at 12 weeks pregnant and I'm almost 37wks now. I just rang my gp and made appointments for a few months before and there was no hassle, they knew I'd signed up for combined care with them and didn't require offical approval, I guess they knew it would take ages. Funny I don't think it took that long last time. 3. You'll be going for your first appointment anywhere between 11 and, not sure, 16 wks maybe so you'll need to make an appointment a few weeks beforehand. I think there's no big deal moving between SP & Public to be honest. There's more of a deal about going fully private and trying to get a consultant cos the one you want might be booked up for the time you are due and all that. I don't think it matters so much with SP & public. Only you pay the full fee at your first appointment with SP so that's 1200 at your first appointment so not sure if there's any hassle getting that back, you'd want to check if it's refundable before paying it. I'm no expert now, anyone else feel free to jump in and correct me or give your opinions here please. I honestly don't believe you get any better care as a private, sp or public patient. For me the difference is the waiting areas and the rooms. Dublin is a lot more "class conscious" than other areas of the country and lots of people are willing to pay more for that.
Hi Tess, i just a have a few follow on q's as i'm a bit confused. Thanks for taking the time to respond so far. Your nearly there now! 2. It was months before I got an official response from the the HSE or whoever is responsible for that. I think I only got it a few weeks ago actually and I signed up for it at 12 weeks pregnant and I'm almost 37wks now. I just rang my gp and made appointments for a few months before and there was no hassle, they knew I'd signed up for combined care with them and didn't require offical approval, I guess they knew it would take ages. Funny I don't think it took that long last who do you mean knew that you had signed up for combined care? The HSE or GP. I havent confirmed with GP yet if that's what i'll do. I think i will. Does your GP then inform the hospital or how does that all work? 3. You'll be going for your first appointment anywhere between 11 and, not sure, 16 wks maybe so you'll need to make an appointment a few weeks beforehand. I think there's no big deal moving between SP & Public to be honest. There's more of a deal about going fully private and trying to get a consultant cos the one you want might be booked up for the time you are due and all that. I don't think it matters so much with SP & public. Only you pay the full fee at your first appointment with SP so that's 1200 at your first appointment so not sure if there's any hassle getting that back, you'd want to check if it's refundable before paying it. when you say you'll need to make an appointment a few weeks before hand, who do you mean i would be making this appointment with?