Purchases for second babies?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Jeidi Posts: 3128
OK so you know the way, on your second or subsequent baby, you dont have all the added expence of prams, cots, stuff for the nursery etc - well I suppose that only counts if babies are close together but you know what I mean. So what did you buy second time round? I am planning on getting some decent maternity clothes and a nice changing bag. Oh and a few bottles I suppose!!
Emme Posts: 4735
It's more what I'm buying for DS to send him off to his own big boy room. I'm getting a TV monitor for him I think...will definitly buy another monitor of some kind anyway. I'm getting a changing table because I'm an idiot who did without one for over 2 years now! Double buggy of course and some new blankets and sheets. It kinda feels like you're forgetting something, for DS I had a spreadsheet done out with all that I needed!
pag Posts: 633
Well at the moment I have no plans to get anything. DD doesn't like her buggy as it is so I'm not rushing to get a double - we'll see how we go. If this LO is a boy I'll get some new blankets and blue items but otherwise it will be all recycled items I'm afraid. I'll be bf so no bottles needed just some teats for when we try combined feeding - got so little use out of the ones I had for DD as she refused them all. This time I'm putting more money into me :-8 - joined the gym near work and will do the Gentlebirth workshop.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
Oh I am deffo going to treat myself to a mum2be massage package thing that Sam Macauley does. Wont need a double buggy coz DS will be 3.5 then. I plan on bfeeding too, but I know in my heart and soul I wont last long (founf it very very hard the last time, only lasted a week) so I deffo need bottles. Crap I didnt think of DS moving into the bigger room. Its actually done in teal and white. Will just get him some fun duvets etc. Oh and a black out blind. :)
Thumbelina Posts: 2340
We moved DS1 into a bigger room before DS2 arrived but he was only 18 months old so had to buy a 2nd cotbed as well as a single bed, wardrobe & drawers for the room. Decorated it too as it was just plain white. Before DS2 arrived I just got the usual new baby bits (nappies, etc) and some new parts for my breastpump & new bottle teats. We knew we were having another boy so only picked up a few new vests & babygros, still had all of DS1's little outfits. After DS2 arrived we got a double buggy as DS1 was a complete disaster on the buggy board! That was about it. This time round I've even less to get.......have the double buggy already & have 2 cotbeds. So it'll just be the nappies, teats, pump bits and a few pink babygros!!!
anika Posts: 2194
I am the same as most of you, won't be getting anything big at all. Still have DD cradle. Still have the cotbed as well, have thousands of blankets and kept most of the baby clothes. Have an extra big bag with neutral colours in case we are having a boy. Also have the bottle steamer, bouncer, travel cot,baby bath, car seat, pram, highchair etc. So all i'll be getting is boys clothes, if we have a boy. If we have a girl sure the 5 bags of clothes i have will do :o0 I am also breatfeeding, so will only get the essentials for that and maybe one or two bottles just in case. I have only bought one thing yet and that was a set of white babygros,hat and mittens after we had our first scan last monday. :lvs
Handymammy Posts: 1086
glad to see this thread as need some advice please: DS will be 16/17 months when the new baby arrives and he is in his own room in the cotbed. Not sure what we are having yet, so may need to buy some clothes but already have a double buggy (was thinking ahead and bought a P&T on first baby). So questions: - will my DS still be using the monitor at 17 months thus will we need to buy a second monitor? -if so, do I buy a different type of monitor so that we know the difference and will there be interference between the two? It is a very big house so the two bedrooms are probably 30foot apart -when the second baby is moving into its own room and big cot at around 6 months will my DS be ready to move into a bed (he will be about 22 months) or will I need two cots thanks
pag Posts: 633
[quote="Aug10":26kxsslq] - will my DS still be using the monitor at 17 months thus will we need to buy a second monitor? -if so, do I buy a different type of monitor so that we know the difference and will there be interference between the two? It is a very big house so the two bedrooms are probably 30foot apart[/quote:26kxsslq] DD is now 22months and we still use the monitor to check on her - especially if she cries out or coughs. We have video one so can see if she is awake and up or just crying in her sleep. As regards getting a second one you can usually set them to different freqencies. We had problems getting a monitor that didn't interfer with the sky box and wireless modem so DH just bought them, tried them out adn then if they didn't work brought them back. [quote="Aug10":26kxsslq] -when the second baby is moving into its own room and big cot at around 6 months will my DS be ready to move into a bed (he will be about 22 months) or will I need two cots [/quote:26kxsslq] DD is in the bed version of her cotbed since about 18months. It really depends on your DS and also whether you want him to be able to get out of the bed! We are keeping DD in the bed until after this little one is born and then we will move her into a new bed (probably a flexa which has many different options.)