Purchasing from USA & customs!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Joanne2006 Posts: 765
Girls i need to pick your brians once again! Have any of you purchased items from US before. Ive found fab shoes on a website and im afraid if i order them that ill get hit bad with the customs?!! Is there a certain amount worth you can purchase before your taxed does anyone know?! Any help i really appreciate!!
Anyone?!
LoveLife123 Posts: 2138
I think the amount of customs you get charged is relative to the amount of the item that you are brinigng in. I got my invitiations from the US and they were €275 and got charged €65 customs. I have also ordered my wedding dress from the US and that hasn't arrived yet. So if its a pair of shoes for like $80 or something I don't think you will get charged much anyway. Hope this helps :wv
Ca cest moi Posts: 7855
You can purchase up to $45.00 usd worth without paying tax, anything over that and you pay customs on it. It works out at roughly 1/3 of the cost of item when you add customs and importation tax.
May 08 Wife Posts: 1642
I got my 2 BM dresses from the states and the customs were €88 and the two dresses were €267. About 1/3 of the price for customs is about right.
jemm27 Posts: 200
Don't know if this is any help but this has happened to me twice...... I have bought cosmetics last year from www.strawberry.net & benefit.com probably spent approx €100.00 on different occasions & got a note from postman in the door to say the package had arrived & I owed X amount to customs (can't remember how much sorry!) but I faxed in the note to the post office asking them to deliver to my work address rather than going to collect it as I wouldn't have been able to during work. Package was delivered the next day with the work post but I was never charged the customs & nobody ever came looking for it either, now I know the customs charge probably wasn't more than about €20.00 but still...... now I don't know whether this would be feasible to have your dresses delivered to your work address & maybe I was just lucky but it might work for the shoes..... I also ordered my shoes online & they arrived the other day but no charge from customs & the shoes cost $65.00.... anyhow just thought I'd let you other wollies know! :wv
LoveLife123 Posts: 2138
I'd say it just depends though coz I got my US invitations delivered to work and still got charged €65 :o(
Why did it make a dif since it was a work address??! Sorry if its a silly question!! Actually wd suit better to get delivered here rather than home! Thanks girls for replying! Must do my sums now n see will it be worth it! Bridal soes here are so expensive im noticing hence why im lookin to the US for them!
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
I ordered my veil worth $220 and wasn't charged anything. Judging from the replies here, some do slip through the net so defo budget for the customs and if you don't get charged it's a bonus!
jemm27 Posts: 200
Hi Joanne2006 When I orginally ordered the goods I asked for them to be sent to my home address, but when the postman called there was nobody there so he left a docket that said I could either: collect the package at the local post office or I could get a neighbour to take in the package or I could fax the docket back to the post office give an alternative address but that there was a customs fee of XX........ so I faxed in the docket & asked to deliver to my work address but when it was delivered I wasn't charged the customs fee..... hope this makes sense! :wv But I do agree with the other posts that sometimes you're not charged any customs.....& that's definately a bonus! :o)ll