Putting up a Christmas Tree 2014 with a 9 mth old?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Busbybabe Posts: 562
Girls planning to take down my Christmas tree this weekend but am now wondering about what to do this time next year. My tree is in a confined space (we live in an apt) is only 5ft high but has a huge amount of fiddly Christmas decorations on it which I have collected over the last 12 years. The decorations are tempting for big people who come into our apt never mind small people. Just wondering if I should put it up with perhaps more selective bigger decorations next year or just have the lights on my tree. I'd hate not to have a tree but obviously don't want any choking hazards! Just want a few ideas as it may help me in what decorations to pack away!
Kaniela Posts: 458
It depends on you lo really.. ds turned one just before Christmas and I was concerned that he'd forever be at the tree as he's into everything else... He never paid it a blind bit of notice, not once did he bother with it, then I have friends who had to put up and obstacle course in front of their to stop their lo's getting to it. so it's case of having to wait and see. Regarding the small decorations, I have things like that on mine, one's that are of sentimental value and mean a lot at christmas to me to have on the tree, so I put them up the top end towards the middle and none at the bottom, I just had the larger baubles and lights that end.
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
To be honest it will depend on the child. My fella turned 1 in October and he loves anything that resembles a ball (rugby, football, tennis etc) so I thought here we got, he'll have the tree in ruins but he took absolutely no notion to it at all even though we had some of his toys tidied away underneath, he'd just go and get the toys then carry on busying himself!!! If you are worried about anything dangerous it would be the lights? They can cause all sorts of problems for little ones.
Sassypants Posts: 4461
We thought our little fella would be into everything but he was fine. Took a couple of decorations off the tree but it was grand. As the other girls say, it depends on your little one.
bluepolkadots Posts: 1237
I don't think you'll know until closer to the time. Our DD is 8 months old - was almost 8 months when we put tree up and is very active, crawling etc. but the tree has been fine. We had to move a few decorations closer to the top but aside from that it's been OK. We always get a real tree and were considering getting artificial but again the real one was fine so glad we didn't bother changing. I think if they have enough around them it's not too bad. DD's toy basket is next to tree and she pays more attention to that than the tree and constantly crawls to TV unit (whether TV is off or on) and pulls herself up which we are more concerned about in case she hits her head.
amberjack Posts: 1273
I didn't think my tree would survive a day this year with a 2.5 year old, 16 month old, crazy kitten and slightly older cat, but it did, so I wouldn't worry
RainbowNinja Posts: 4437
DS is 9 months next week. He started crawling a week and half before Xmas. Judt once did he go near the tree, touched the balls at the bottom and went off on his way again. Have friends with babies the same age, and some aren't crawling yet, so agree with the others, it depends on the baby
rosiemama Posts: 3363
DD was 9 months this Christmas. She loved the Christmas tree and would have taken the odd bauble off the bottom branches if they were within reach but mostly liked to look at it and didn't go out of her way to get to it if she was sitting across the room. We had presents under the tree for weeks that amazingly were untouched by all three kids too! I think once the initial novelty wears off they don't even really see it. I have a few decorations that I have picked up over the years that would be sentimental, and a few that are more fragile too, but just keep them near the top.