Q - Curly Hair & Staightners

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Senorita Posts: 3413
For those of you who have curly hair, do you often straighten it? I have soft curly hair, and if I'm going out for a night on the town, I get the hairdresser to straighten it. I'm thinking of investing in a hair straightners (ghd or the likes) so that I could do it myself. Are they really bad for your hair? If I used it just once of twice a week, would it still wreck my hair? What serums do you use when straightening? Cheers O-O
Easy Tiger Posts: 2676
I have naturally curly hair..well it's more wavy than curly..anyway I use my GHD about 3 times a week. It is damaging to your hair so be careful. I actually just went to the hairdressers yesterday and got a load chopped off because the ends were in a such bad condition. However, I love the GHD and I don't imagine I'll stop using it.
honeyec Posts: 969
I think I'm one of the only people in Ireland who doesn't own a GHD. Dylan Bradshaw says they're the best and worst thing ever invented - great ebcause they can give a really nice shiny finish to curly hair that's been blow-dried straight, and the worst because people totally abuse them and use them every day, and that's not what they were designed for.
Phoenix Posts: 836
I have wavy hair, not very curly, but definatly not straight!! I think if you ghd it (or whatever straightener you want) a couple of times a week, it's not too bad. It's only when you start doing it three times a day (believe me, I know someone who does this) that you could have a problem. Make sure to use some heat protecting products on your hair before you straighten it and you will be fine.
shorty 08 Posts: 358
suffer from insane hair and my ghd is a life saver, there is no taming my hair so to look any ways organised it needs to be straigntened, in a few years will chop a good bit off and be able to mousse it but not right now!
Valkstar Posts: 2747
I've been using a ghd for the last 2 years and it's great. I don't get split ends any worse than before (I have really long hair and have always had a few split ends anyway). I only use it once a week, and use extra moisturising conditioner and heat defence spray, and my hair is in great condition. I'd recommend you get one!
mollyeile Posts: 2486
I have very thick hair and my GHD is fantastic with it - I had tried loads of other ones before but the weren't half as good. I only use it about once a week as I tie my hair up for work but I do use the heat defense spray and do a contioning mask once a week in addition to normal conditioner to help stop any damage. I do know someone who overused theirs so much that their hairdresser told them to stop using it for at least six months to give their hair a chance to improve.
fire fly Posts: 1241
I have curly hair and my ghd is my life. I would probably use it 3 times a week maybe 4 and my hair is in great condition. I use loads of different conditioners, I think I love my hair too much!
Senorita Posts: 3413
Thanks a mill ladies :thnk I think I'll go for it, but just use it once or twice a week. What I'm spending a month in the hairdressers, justifies me buying one, I think :-8 :o0
Anonymous Posts: 24542
I have really, really thick, weird curly hair and I gave up on the GHD 'cos it was wearing the arm off me, trying to get around to the back. It [i:121pcmp1]frazzled [/i:121pcmp1]my hair, too, so now I just straighten the top, shorter layers and leave the longer bits curly - and at that, only do it for bonfire nights and special occasions.