Menu

query re maternity benefit

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Gingham Posts: 3014
hey looking for abit of advice here...my job is very rocky at the mo..alot of rumours going around about redundancies and all sorts. I am at my wits end worrying about it and have had a few sleepless nights....to be honest job cuts are defo on the cards and as i am pregnant and have missed a good few days on sickleave over the last ten weeks, I would say I will b targeted to go. my husband works in the public sector so his job is fairly secure...well secure as any public job at the moment... I have read the citizens advice webpage and it says you have to be in employment up until you are 24 weeks.... I have another two months to go until im 24 weeks...if I am let go before this time, i take it i can claim job seekers and won't get any maternity then?anyone know anymore on this?
Crostini Posts: 1105
f you do a search on redundancy and maternity you should get alot of info on citizens advice etc about it. basically you can be made redundanct while pregnant but if you are made redundant within 16 weeks of your due date then the company has to pay you maternity(if they pay maternity that is) check out below link for more info [url:3pegkpeo]http://www.survivingredundancy.ie/site/article/pregnancy_and_redundancy/[/url:3pegkpeo]
Gingham Posts: 3014
thats first for us....good website there
s wife Posts: 1445
i was given my redundancy notice 4 weeks ago my job waited untill i was 24 weeks gone so i could make sure that i got my maternity benefit ,but just before i was 24 weeks i did check things out and basically if your redundant before 24 weeks you are entitiled to job seekers
lollyfp Posts: 2441
[quote="deliriouslyhappy":18udun3m]hey looking for abit of advice here...my job is very rocky at the mo..alot of rumours going around about redundancies and all sorts. I am at my wits end worrying about it and have had a few sleepless nights....to be honest job cuts are defo on the cards and as i am pregnant and have missed a good few days on sickleave over the last ten weeks, I would say I will b targeted to go. my husband works in the public sector so his job is fairly secure...well secure as any public job at the moment... I have read the citizens advice webpage and it says you have to be in employment up until you are 24 weeks.... I have another two months to go until im 24 weeks...if I am let go before this time, i take it i can claim job seekers and won't get any maternity then?anyone know anymore on this?[/quote:18udun3m] Hi, I was made redundant recently as well so have looked into this in detail as I was very upset at the fact that I wave worked my whole life paying PRSI and taxes but the one time I lose my job (after 4 years in the company) is when I get pregnant. I do not think it is fair that we would be denied Mat Benefit from the Govt so I rang the Maternity Benefit Dept and they basically told me that if I work even one day (making at least €40) anywhere in any job that falls within the 16 week period before my EDD then I will get my full Mat Benefit. So if you are unable to find another job now see if a friend or relative might hire you for a few days within the time closer to your EDD??? It seems such a stupid rule and exception but play the game on their terms and get your Mat Benefit if you need it. Best of luck!! x