question about caesar salads

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Busy Mom Posts: 2910
ok i need other opinions on this cuz i don't know if i'm being a paranoid android or not - we can't eat parmasean right??? so - have you eaten caesar salads? if so did you have the parmasean on it or just asked for it without? i have a MAJOR craving for a c.salad but don't think it'll be the same without the cheese
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
I thought Parmesan was ok?.... I wouldnt eat a whole lot of it but I know I havent been going out of my way to avoid it or anything. Oops! Ill google it there.
redfly Posts: 358
I've been eating it too on Caesar Salad :o(
tinyfeet Posts: 3482
Typed it into google & saw the following answer: Q: Can pregnant women eat Parmesan cheese? Yes, Parmesan cheese comes from cow's milk, and that is what a child needs to grow (and it helps make yours and the baby's bones stronger). :wv
Busy Mom Posts: 2910
i thought we couldn't and i'm googling it here and getting conflicting info!
Toblerone Posts: 2698
Parmesan is a hard cheese and fine to eat during pregnancy.
blondiechick Posts: 1641
Girls, I think it's the dressing in Caesar Salads that us pregnant ladies are not supposed to have!! :eek Apparently the dressing is made from raw eggs and that's a no-no food for pregnancy. I was at a wedding recently and made sure to have a 'dry' caesar salad, not the nicest tasting thing in the world but I'm avoiding the dressing. The cheese is fine as it's not a soft cheese like Camenbert or Brie...
i want one Posts: 2893
hi girls, ya i think its the dressing on caesar salad we were supposed to avoid too. but i wonder are all these dressing actually made from raw eggs, like mayo, dont they say helmans is ok to use? but not home made stuff. i suppose u could just ask in restaurant about the dressing and if it is made from raw eggs then give it a miss?? I read somewhere that brie is ok to eat, as long as it is heated through, deep fried brie like? i hope this is true because i havent been avoiding it. goats cheese now i know we arent supposed to eat that.
i carried a watermelon Posts: 140
Hi, :wv I think only unpasturised cheese / mayonaisse should be avoided. Helmans Mayonaise is made from pasturised eggs so its ok to eat. Im not sure about the Ceasar Salad dressing though.
Marpat Posts: 1784
I've had caesar salad and I've had soft cheeses on this pregnancy. I also developed pretty severe food poisoning on my first DS and this was from a chicken sandwich (with no mayo). I'm much more conscious of mayo. All of the foods like soft cheeses and smoked salmon have a higher risk but I don't consider any of them to be a no no. I was reliably informed the only no-no in pregnancy is things like pate or liver or kidneys due high amount of Vitamin A that could possibly be linked to birth defects. Small chance that the other foods mentioned might make you sick but do no real damage as long as you keep yourself well hydrated. Enjoy your grub girls!