Question about consultants

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wifetobe Posts: 1438
Im just wondering, does your gp pick your consultant? do you go one place to see your consultants but then actually have your baby somewhere else? I pay medical insurance to cover me privately but not sure where to start. Is there private in holles st? we were both bron safely there. Sorry for all the questions but I wanna make sure I do this right.
Marpat Posts: 1784
Hi there Wife to Be, Hope to be joining you over here soon! Congrats again on your fantastic news. Sounds like you've decided on Holles Street so that's half the battle. Next you need to decide on what option you want - public, semi-private, private. If you chose private, you will need to pay the consultants fees but the hospital stay will be covered. Not sure how semi private works but it is less expensive and I think you generally see the same consultant each time. You can chose your own consultant if you are going semi private or private. Ring the hospital directly and ask for the doctor's secretary if going private or the semi private clinic. Can't answer about the HS Consultants rooms because I don't know but i know some of the MOunt Carmel consultants have rooms away from the hospital. I'm sure somebody else can advise about the HS doctors rooms. My DS was a coombe baby so I don't have any names of consultants in HS but I'm sure there are plenty of people that can recommend a few names for you and at least you could give a few of them a call and have an appointment to look forward to after the big day!!! HTH Marpat
Barbalou Posts: 1617
Congrats WifeToBe, I'm a Holles St Mum to be too.. Consultants - you pick which one you want. But you need to ring ASAP as they book out very quickly for private. I rang at 7 weeks to book private and couldn't get anyone everyone was booked out so had to go SP. Most Private Consultants charge a fee from 4,000 euro up. SP is 260 euro that's with VHI PLAN B +. Not all consultants run their private clinics from Holles St, so you need to check that also otherwise it could mean sitting all day in traffic. Going private does not guarantee you a private room, it'll be what's available on the day. Semi-Private you see the same consultant throughout but he may or maynot be around for the delivery. I'm not sure if the Consultant will be there if you are private though If you live outside Dublin in the Wicklow area you can attend the satilite clinics Loads of info in the attached linked.... [url:39lnnkl8]http://www.nmh.ie/iopen24/defaultarticle.php?cArticlePath=2_7_61;[/url:39lnnkl8]
Thanks....Im on the Quinn Healthcare Health Manager package. Does this not cover private, as in I pay the consultant 4k fees aswell as what Quinn pay? Seriously? :eek Jeeeezzzzz this can't be so :o( I only ever paid all thsi medical insurance to set me up for Private :-(
I looked it up - They pay 896 towards consultants fees. So....SP it will be I think...
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
hey wifetobe, I am going SP in HS, could not get a consultant private for love nor money! They get booked up by women who book even be4 their AF arrives apparently. SP is grand, you see the same consultant all the time, unless they get stuck in surgery on the day of your appointment. This has happened me twice but you get the same treatment by one of their team, which is good. They answer questions etc but generally you are in, then out in 5-10 mins. If during labour, a doc needs to be called whichever doc is on call comes to see you, not necessarily your doc. This is normal and TBH the midwives do alot of the work anyway!!! Just my opinion :wv
Bridezilla07 Posts: 2237
Hi wifetobe If you're hiring a consultant privately, check out the Med 1 form (revenue.ie). You can claim back the rate of tax you pay (I think this is how it works anyway) i.e. if you pay 20% tax, you can claim back 20% on your consultant fee. I'm set to pay €4,250 :eek so it will come as a bit of a relief!! Hope you're well! Zilla07
sligo06 Posts: 513
My sister is a doctor and worked in Holles St for 4 months this year and her advise was as soon as you find out your are pregnant and if you want to go private call the consultant or else they could well be booked out. She was insistant and I thought at the time a little bit over the top but turns out she was right !
triple post
triple post