Question about Dessy BM dress sizes

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

honest woman Posts: 322
I just passed on the BM dresses to the BMs and one of the girls says hers is too big. the labels on the dresses were for a size 8 and a size 10...probably the Irish sizes the girls would be normally. My worry is, are Dessy dresses American sizes? In which case did the shop order the dresses way too big???!!! I'm stressed that I'm going to have to fork out loads for alterations now.....
Mrs.daffodil2010 Posts: 385
The Dessy dresses are American sizes. My BM tried on a Size 8 in Ardee Bridal and it fit her perfectly, she is a Size 10 to 12 normally in Irish sizes.
MrsG2B2010 Posts: 24
Just wondering if maybe all the brides who have ordered dessy bridesmaid dresses could say what sizes they ordered in comparison to what size their BMs would usually be.... It would be very helpful to give us an actual guideline from people who have actually bought as the size charts online are a bit confusing to say the least ;-))
miss scarlett Posts: 20
Hi MrsG2B2010, i bought my dessy dresses online looked at there size charts and also emailed them with the measurements as i was concerned regarding the sizes. My dresses arrived and are at least 2 sizes too big so they need to be altered. If your bridesmaid is normally a size 10 then order a 12 so it can be tailored to suit her sharpe, they are all quite long so they will need to be altered. Hope this is of some use. O:o)
jessibelle Posts: 23
hi, my bridesmaids are between 8 and 10 irish but for there dresses there both a size 6!!!! and the other two are between 10 and twelve!!!!!! and there dresses are 12 and 14!!!!!!!! i was totally convinced the girl messed the measurements wrong but then went through it with me!!! so il just have to wait and see have feeling there is gonna be a disaster!!!!!!
anneMarch2010 Posts: 27
I think that they are a large fit. I ordered 4 dresses-2 in a 16 and 2 in a 10. The girls with the 16's had tried on 14's in the shop which fit but were a little too snug. One of the size 10 girls is a 10/12 and its perfect on her. The other 3 dresses have to be altered but I was expecting that and its not by much.
honest woman Posts: 322
I contacted the shop and when she talked it through with me, it made sense. Someone might fit into a size 10 on top, but need size 12 on hips, so they'll get the bigger size then. Think one of the bridesmaids lost weight since being measured so that's probably made a difference too.....have to start feeding her cake so she'll fit into her dress :o0
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
[quote="Honest Woman":35v73pro]I just passed on the BM dresses to the BMs and one of the girls says hers is too big. the labels on the dresses were for a size 8 and a size 10...probably the Irish sizes the girls would be normally. My worry is, are Dessy dresses American sizes? In which case did the shop order the dresses way too big???!!! I'm stressed that I'm going to have to fork out loads for alterations now.....[/quote:35v73pro] Sure didnt you expect that you would have to pay for some alterations anyway, I just assume that'll be a given with mine. Alterations arnt as much as you think if you shop around hun. Maybe one of your pal's mums will help you and you can pay them with a bottle of something. My dresses are a bit small on the back so i've to take zip off and replace with ribbon, costing €15 a dress.. not bad
Penny_Bride2Be Posts: 254
My BM's are a size 10 and 12 irish sizes and got size 6 and 8 american, so the usual 2 sizes smaller as per normal in the US. Arrived last week and they are a pretty good fit, only need to get the straps adjusted
OctLady09 Posts: 40
my BMs are a size 8-10 and a 12. the dresses arrived the other day and they are a 10 and a 12. the second just about fits! the first one is fine.